What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. slackii photos

Here are a couple of photos of my large, 5-year old D. slackii. The flowers are 2.6cm (1 inch) across and the rosette has a diameter of 6cm and has a stem, draped in old leaves, 5cm high. I grow it in a 1L pot in pure NZ long-fibred Sphagnum.

slackii.jpg

slack1.jpg

Vic

That is what I call a healthy plant:)

Hi Vic,

I saw these photos on the CP UK forum, but neglected to comment, so to make up for it here:

Beautiful Pics of a superb species!! Thanks for sharing!

These photos have spurred me on to propagate my own Drosera slackii plant (via root cuttings) this week, as it's looking very poor at the moment.

Cheers,

Adam.  
biggrin.gif

Wales, UK

Thank you for the photos Vic, especially the flower shot!

great plant, great pics!!!! and the Jealousy ensues...
biggrin.gif

D. Slackii are very nice and cool looking plants....and you have shown it!
Kevin

This is a very interesting form of D. slackii.  The leaves on this plant are comparatively narrow lamina than other D. slackii I have seen, but the red stipules clearly define it as D. slackii.  I would be interested in learning more about this plant location data, collector etc. would make this a very interesting plant to own.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (utricman @ June 23 2003,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a very interesting form of D. slackii.  The leaves on this plant are comparatively narrow lamina than other D. slackii I have seen, but the red stipules clearly define it as D. slackii.  I would be interested in learning more about this plant location data, collector etc. would make this a very interesting plant to own.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yea, i noticed that, kinda has a drosera spatulata body and a drosera slakii flower...
confused.gif
wink.gif

Vic...that is an absolutely stunning plant and gorgeous photos...both flower and plant.

You must be quite proud of that one!

Thanks for sharing the pic.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Utricman,

The clone of D. slackii I grow originated in the nursery of the guy who the plant is named after, Adrian Slack, Marston's Exotics. That is where the person I obtained mine from bought their plant, several years ago, I have no further details on location, collector etc for this particular clone.

I'm not sure how much the differences that you see in my plant, compared to others you have seen, are genetic or due to the age and size of my plant and the conditions in which it grows (large pot and NZ LFS compost in particular). The leaf lamina don't look that much different in shape to those in the photo on page 132 of 'The Savage Garden' to me, though these are obviously younger plants. When I first got this plant, it looked just like any of the hundreds of D. slackii that I must seen in other collections, here in the UK, or for sale at CPS meetings and in nurseries. I am not certain that there is more than one clone of this plant in cultivation in the UK and wouldn't be suprised if they all originated with Adrian.

This plant flowers for me each year and can be coaxed into setting seed with a little help from a toothpick. However, neither myself or any of the growers that I have sent seed to in recent years have managed to germinate it, so I can't be of much help providing you with useful material from this one. I imagine that two genetically distinct clones are required to produce viable seed, either that, or I have a sterile clone.

Cheers

Vic

Vic,

I am going to try smokewater and fire stratification on the seed you so generously provided. I'll keep you posted as to the results from this.

BTW, Robert Gibson responded to your "D. admirabilis" question on the South African thread if you haven't seen it already.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vic Brown @ June 24 2003,4:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This plant flowers for me each year and can be coaxed into setting seed with a little help from a toothpick. However, neither myself or any of the growers that I have sent seed to in recent years have managed to germinate it, so I can't be of much help providing you with useful material from this one. I imagine that two genetically distinct clones are required to produce viable seed, either that, or I have a sterile clone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Tone in your post makes it sound as though you feel that I am doubting your ID. I am not. I am merely pointing out a difference that I see.

The most interesting thing that you mention is the fact that your seed is not germinating. To me this would indicate that you have some sort of hybrid that involves D. slackii possibly with a close relative (D. admirabilis, D. aliciae, etc.). I am only saying this because in my experience seed of D. slackii is very viable and very easy to germinate. This is not the case with Drosera hybrids, which may set seed that will not germinate.

In any event, I think you have a very interesting and nice looking clone with an interesting history.

utricman

Back