What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. sessilifolia Germination

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've had at least 3 batches of seeds, over the years, and can't get a single seed to germinate. What does it take?

Interesting since you would think it behaved like burmanii ? Maybe not ?

Hey there Jim,
I had the same problem. I received the seeds from the ICPS seed bank.and one day a year or so after I had given up on them but not thrown them out, there they were. The conditions have to be jest right but I still don't know why or when they sprouted.
Lois

I don't know how true this is, but I have experienced something similar when first trying to germinate D. aliciae and D. sessilifolia. I'll summarize what one site says. They sell seed otherwise I'd post a link:
It says they need 6 weeks of hot stratification. Sow directly on the surface of moist media. I'm assuming hot stratification in their opinion is just having very warm and humid conditions. After the 6 weeks of hot stratification, uncover the top of the pot, but not completely. The theory in this is to drop the temperatures and humidity slightly and this gets them to germinate.

When I first tried the listed species above, they didn't germinate along with easier species such as D. capensis and D. spatulata. I had them sown in different pots, but the pots shared the same water dish and bag. I decided not to continue to wait for the aliciae and sessilifolia and uncovered the pots so the sprouted seedlings could get some air circulation. I remember the pots drying out slightly. A week or two later (possibly sooner, it was two years ago), I had decent germination from both. I should note that all the mentioned seeds were started outside, with early morning sun and shade the rest of the day. I'm trying the same technique inside. I have several species of Drosera that I'm trying to germinate in separate pots, but they are all in the same covered container. I have since slowly removed the bag that covered the container because some of the easier species are up in size already. I'm trying to keep them checked daily. I hope this works. I've recently received some D. burmanii from the ICPS seed bank. So far I have one seeding, but it's still early. I'm not to the stage of dropping heat and humidity yet.

I hope this might help. I seem to get D. aliciae and D. sess. everywhere but where I want them. They are in several pots, and I have no idea how they got there. Go figure :poke:.

Crystal

Thank you for sharing these tips! I've already gotten them sown, right above fishtank, where it's warm, under the Grolite. Looks like I may have to vary the temperature and humidity.

No problem Jim. I just hope it will be of some help. It's possible that the seed may become more difficult to germinate the longer they stay in the fridge.

Crystal

BobZ posted on another forum that he had some seed in a tray for over 18 months before he finally got germination! - Rich

LOL! Bob's got a few decades worth of experience on me! I won't be throwing anything any too soon.

Geeze that's a long time! I won't be throwing anything away any time soon either.

(**********I had the same problem. I received the seeds from the ICPS seed bank.and one day a year or so after I had given up on them but not thrown them out, there they were. The conditions have to be jest right but I still don't know why or when they sprouted.
Lois*******)

I don't know how to use that quote thingy.

Isn't that what I jest said above. Do I have to be Bob Z for someone to believe me.?
Lois

Lois, there's a quote tab at the bottom right of the posts. anyhoo, I know you know a thing or two about these plants.... mre than me, that's fer shore!

Back