What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.scorpioides

When sowing gemmae, do you sow it like when you sow seeds by scattering it on the surface? Also, what soil mix should I use for D.scorpioides and what size pot should I use?

Tall pots. 70/30 sand/peat, Tray water with water level reaching about 1/4 of the way up the side of the pot. Lay the gemmae on the surface of the media with the "bump" side facing up. Put em under good light (read: Sun) and they should be fine.

Addendum: Tall pots are required because they have long roots. Do NOT disturb the roots! They are about the easiest CP's to cultivate.

Tall pots may be nice, but I find that it's not a necessity. I have large healthy clumps of scorpioides growing in 3 inches of mix. I have some young ones growing in 1.5" tall trays. They don't seem to mind one bit.

D. scorpioides are "supposed" to have a dry summer dormancy. I used 6" and 8" pots for mine because of this dormancy "requirement". (Note the words in quotes) My thinking was that the deep pots would 1) allow the long roots more depth to grow down and 2) make the dry summer dormancy easier to do by allowing me to keep the surface of the pots dry while keeping the soil in the bottom of the pots just moist to avoid killing the roots while dormant. As usual, Mother Nature pulled a quick one on me....my plants didn't go dormant (or I didn't notice the difference in growth) that first year, or the next or this year (yet). It is quite obvious that my plants are illiterate or they would have read the books and web pages that quite plainly state they go dormant in the hot summer months. I will send them to remedial reading this summer to remedy this. Unless they go dormant. Back to the question... I would try growing the plants both ways to see which works best for you. Shallow pots work for Larry, deep pots work for me; you may find that something in between works well for you. There'll be ~25 gemmae in the pack.

Back