What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides and aphids

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Well to my dismay I have noticed that my D. scorpioides plants all have aphids. I was wondering if anyone has had success with submerging the plants like with other species like D. capensis or D. adelae?

Thanks
Steve

So far I have been successful with the capensis, adelae, and spatulata - but those are the only ones that were attacked.

I submerged some D. scorpiodes gemmae for a few hours to get rid of (but not necessarily kill) some aphids and skim off algae without any ill effects. Just be careful not to wash too much media on to it as your flooding, as I knocked a few over and had a real hard time teasing sand and peat out of all the little hairs and tentacles. I'm going to get some Orthene just to be sure (and because submerging my D. dichotoma isn't much of an option.) Best luck!
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 06 2005,12:49)]Well to my dismay I have noticed that my D. scorpioides plants all have aphids. I was wondering if anyone has had success with submerging the plants like with other species like D. capensis or D. adelae?

Thanks
Steve
Trying that while you speak. Make sure you do the full 2 weeks though, I tried taking it out after a few days and it didn't even slow the buggers down.

Look here for more reference info.
smile.gif

Good luck with your D.scorpiodes tread water session...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

I wonder if scorpioides will like being submerged for any length of time. My choice would be to use the orthene.

Orthene is the way to go. I used it last year and even my most sensitive fragile plants were totally unaffected. One application rid me of the aphid infestation. Prior to its use I tried submersion, manual removal, organic sprays, alcohol swasbs...wasting endless hours only to have the outbreak reappear weeks later. Submersion will work, but expect some plant losses. I generally kept all my affected droserae submerged for 2 weeks with positive effect on the survivors, but the time and effort really are a waste when there is a good and ready tool to do the work effectively.

Thanks all... Well to update this topic, I have my mature D. scorpioides plants in submersion therepy now. I started them off on 3-8-05 and will go ahead and leave them in for a while longer. The rest of my plants that are infected will get the chemical warfare treatment (I picked up some orthene today) I will update again in a few days and let you all know which worked better.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 10 2005,6:40)]I will update again in a few days and let you all know which worked better.
I am betting on the Orthene.

Has anyone tryed using a flea/tick bomb in a room/garage with you infected plants....

I've been trying pyrethrum - an extract of chysanthemum - with no real results (except it kills the tentacles on Drosera real fast.) I kill the aphids I see, but they show up on some other plant later. They've already taken my Ping/Utric/Drosera tray and a flat of squash seedlings... I'm seriously thinking about moving my grow rack into the storage room outside and giving all my plants a blast of insecticide. Where have you put your plants to be treated with Orthene, Steve?
~Joe

Where they live. In my back yard. Pour the orthene in, and the aphids move out.

I spray Othene 75sp (mixed with water) on the plants where they sit in the g/h. ...make sure they all have enough water first though. Cause you ain't going back in there for a while. LOL I dunno about other forms of orthene... but this kind smells pretty darn bad.
smile_n_32.gif
But yes. Is perfecty effective. And I've had it harm none of my plants. (This is the same stuff Tamlin mentioned using... I sent him some to try...)
Andrew
edit:
I used it on my plants for scale....

Bob: I hope you are right.. its sure easier to spray Orthene than to submerse plants.

Nevermore: No I havent.

Joe: I haven't done anything special with the plants I have treated with the Orthene. In fact the ones I did treat are sitting side by side with other plants I did not treat.

Andrew:.. yes.. Orthene has the most foul smell.. lmao

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nevermore @ Mar. 11 2005,9:11)]Has anyone tryed using a flea/tick bomb in a room/garage with you infected plants....
Dude, calm down!
smile_n_32.gif

Pyrethum extract is the same as rape seed oil. Does anyone know another name for orthene (sp?), I can't seem to find any where I live. Malthion, pyrethum, and a dozen of other insecticides, but no orthene.

Also doew anyone know of an insecticide made exclusively for mites (ie. miticide), or one that is particularly effective against mites?

The only reason I ask about the flea/tick bomb.. is that I have 2 decent sized ficus trees and a umbrella plant in the house that had a bad case of scale. So much where the carpet starts to get sticky from all the dew that they drop.

So i put them in my garage.. set off 2 bug bombs, that you get at any big box store, and after the set amount of time, airing out... all of the scale just dried up and I hosed them off. It worked perfectly... haven't had any come back since I did this.. and to no harm of the plants.

Not to say that CPs aren't going to have any side effects.... but I thought it would be worth a shot since the gas obviously gets in all the cracks and such.

I've used a cat flea collar to great effect, as suggested in The Savage Garden. Suspend it so it doesn't touch the plant or soil, and keep it in an enclosed space.

Update:

Well my plants successfully underwent submersion therapy and appear to be aphid free now. I gave them about 6 days worth of underwater treatment. I have not seen any more aphids in the time they have been out. They looked a little worse for wear for a few days after, but today they have given me a nice surprise... Flowers!!

All in all, I would say that the submersion was a success, although the plants I treated with Orthene are also aphid free, and it was a lot less hassle than submersion.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions all.

Cheers
Steve

i haved drowned aphids on all my drosera when my terrarium got aphids, my D. scorpioides werent in my terrarium though so i havent submerged them I heard their roots are very delicate, I would just use this stuff called "fungicide 3" its a fungicide, insecticide, and miltcide al together, wal mart usually has it, and you can buy it pre-mixed, works like a charm on mealybugs and aphids

Back