What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpiodes gemmae

A couple of people generously gave me some D. scorpiodes gemmae at the beginning of this year. They seem to have grown well and are now about an inch or so tall. They went into dormancy, I think, during late July, August, September, and some of October. It was extremely hot -- 95 F + for over two straight months during that time here in Palm Bay, FL.

Then Wilma came through and a really nice cold front followed her. The D. scorpiodes seemed to wake up in a matter of hours, litterally.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

They are growing like crazy. It is during this time of early growth after the dormancy that the gemmae are supposed to form as I understand it.

What am I looking for, exactly? Be very specific. Is it too soon still?
confused.gif

I very much want to grow more of them and share.

Thank you for the photos. They are a big help!

I am not sure if they were actually dormant. They quit growing and looked like they folded up to a tuft of white hair. It may have been a response to the heat but not a true dormancy. But when we got that cold snap after the hurricane, they seemed to bounce out of it and grow like mad.

However, they do not have a crown of beads like your photos show so they must not be producing. That sucks. Maybe they got too stressed.

Thank you for the photos.

cphog, I have scorpioides in several different pots in several different conditions, the ones that receive water and strong light are producting gemmae. The ones that get plenty of water but less sunligh aren't, and the ones that get plenty of sun but not enough water aren't either.
The white hairs that you're describing sound like hibernacula (right?) which means that gemmae shouldn't be too far off! I've only been growing these for a year, but those are my observations. Hope that helps.

Edit:
Like I said, I've only been growing these for a year, so I may be confused... Speaking of gemmae, when do I want to sow them?

For gemmae, you want to sow them as soon as possible.

Yes, gemmae aren't like seeds that you can store. They are plant buds so its living tissue. Sow as soon as possible although they will usually several days stored in a moist plastic bag or paper towel. If left too long, they will begin to root in the water or towel.

Gemmae are cool little things.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cphog @ Nov. 20 2005,12:23)]However, they do not have a crown of beads like your photos show so they must not be producing. That sucks. Maybe they got too stressed.

Thank you for the photos.
Usually at this time of the year the white hairs you describe will part to reveal the gemmae. Just give them time and you will probably end up with more gemmae than you know what to do with.

Back