What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D rountifolia

what time of the year dose it produce flowers

The native wild D. rotundifolia in northwestern California flower in the spring (April - May) shortly after coming out of dormancy. I suppose the more general answer would depend on the genetics of the particular plant in question (that is, where it originated) and whether flowering is triggered by photoperiod or temperature, or both. When grown side-by-side in a greenhouse, D. rotundifolia originating from southern latitudes may flower earlier and become dormant later than those from far northern latitudes. That would be something interesting to check out.

thanks i think it was cultiveted in england and its parents probaly were other here too ill check to see what time of the year it flowers

Um, its spelled rotundifolia.....................
smile_m_32.gif

Well the plants youre thinking off are definetly from the U.K.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, do oyu want to seed them or something?
Dino

i was woundering if it was possibal to cross rountifolia and alicea if they have lived in the same climate for some time is this possibal

Yes that very possible. However, it may not work, you can try try try all you want, but it may just not make viable seed, or the seedlings will be sickly and die.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tree terror @ Oct. 24 2004,4:45)]i was woundering if it was possibal to cross rountifolia and alicea if they have lived in the same climate for some time is this possibal
I dont know about that......
aliciae is a subtropical plant from south africa.
D.rotundifolia is a temperate plant from Europe and North America.
They will also have to flower at the same time for it to work, or you could try storing pollen in the fridge.

Back