What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia as a medicine,

Check this out... I wonder where they get them.

"homeopathis" is a code word for practically no ingredients, that's why they say it's safe. One small plant is enough to make a couple hundred cases.

I have a buddy that sells D. binata by the kilo to some producers of the cough remedy. He grows it in flats and then mows it! The remedy has been known for ages. I think it might even be in Ricola cough drops, but not sure.

After looking I found some more info.

Edit: That whole website actually has some interesting reading.

When I was developing my Drosera photo links page, I ran across a bunch of these remedies. For example, do a Google search on Drosera ramentacea.

BTW, does anyone have a link to a photo of D. ramentacea? I still have not found one.

Interestingly enough, it turns out that Drosera ramentacea was not the plant harvested for the remedy. I mentioned this in a conversation with Robert Gibson, and he told me it was actually D. madagascariensis that was used (and misidentified). D. ramentacea is naturally rare, and no doubt getting more rare all the time, and there would not have been enough of it to support the industry. I was relieved to learn this. I wish there were some good photos of this species. I have a couple gleaned once from the web, but they are not mine and I hesitate to put them up. I plan on making it a subject of many photos if I can ever manage to find the plant.

Back