What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.regia

My D.regia seeds have sprouted after being planted for 3 weeks!

Does anyone have any advice on how to grow this plant correctly? I currently have it in a 1:1 sand:peat mix as suggested by Savage Garden. Apart from that, the book doesn't give much info on the watering, climatic conditions etc in which to grow this plant.

I have the pot in a tray of rainwater and leave it in partial shade in my hot tropical climate.

Any answer will be greatly appreciated!

full sun, VERY well drained mix, water on the tray system like any other South African Drosera. Dont fertilize. Dont disturb too much. frost free in winter.

When the seedlings start growing up, use a toothpick and scoop each up (along with soil around roots) and place each on its own pot. These plants require some room, as they have a thick root system along with the size of the plant. I keep mine on a windowsill which gets about 3 hours of direct light daily (sometimes I would place all my plants outdoors for full day of sun). Humidity should be atleast 50%, as it is an upright sundew, so it won't get too much moisture where the tops of the leaves are.

Is a cold night necessary for the plant to grow well? I don't have very cold nights here.

In my experience Dr. regai does not like tempeartures below 10°C for longer periods. If temperature falls below this the plant will loose its leafes.
Also my plants do not like full sun and heat(&#33
wink.gif
in summer, they are growing better in semi shaded areas during summer.

If seedlings younger than 1 year get to cold or to hot they will die almost imidiatly.
Root cuttings grow about 3-4 times faster than seedlings.

Martin

Back