What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. peltata summer dormancy technique

I just need confirmation if what I'm doing is correct. Originally, the pot was placed on a tray w/ 1-2 inches of water. Since it's June, I decided to try and induce dormancy. I'm doing this by increasing the sunlight exposure, and only filling the tray w/ 1mm of water. I allow the tray to completely dry out before adding more water. I want to keep the medium slightly damp to avoid desiccating the bulb.

In addition, I have some U. livida growing the same pot. I'm wondering if it'll survive the dryness? I probably won't try to move the U. livida until the D. peltata goes dormant.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you move the lividia first, it is easily done. Regarding the peltata, I feel the plant will go dormant of its own accord and should not be forced into it. If it is a first year plant from seed, it will benefit the plant to grow it as long as possible. When the plant begins to go, you will know it. You must slowly allow the substrate to dry over a long period, a month at the very least, which will allow the nutrient reserves in the stalk to be drawn into the tuber. If the pot dries too quickly, this will not happen. or this reason, larger pots are prefered. In habitat these plants are often found against rock faces, where there is some moisture accumulation from dew and the infrequent rains. Once the compost is nearly dry, I would consider bagging the pot, and giving it a once a month spray, keeping the bag sealed after this. Bone dry is not advisable for this species, unlike some of the other tuberous species. Be sure you lable the pot, it is easy to lose track. Good luck.

Tamlin,

Thank you for the tips. The D. peltata is several years old, altho it's my first time growing it.

I'll move the U. livida and the D. capensis (seen in the picture below) when I get a chance. I typically don't like to disturb the plants, when everything is growing well.

D.peltataPot1.jpg

I have grown D. peltata for about 5 years now. Unlike other tuberous species this one doesn't mind being kept damp during dormancy. I leave my plant in the water tray during the summer, I just hide the empty pot behind a larger plant like D. Binata. Growth re-commences in about late november to late january for me and the two adult plants and about 100 seedlings/young adults are all fine!

Richard,

I have heard this as well, and I am also trying the moist dormancy. This is my first attempt at bringing them through, so I am hedging my bets. I have been in touch with many growers who say not to disturb the tubers until the third year or so (they get lost inthe soil because they are so small at first) I'm glad to hear that it isn't too difficult. Peltata is a fantastic plant, and it grows very willingly from seed!

Hi. So how do i give my seedling aurticulata a dry dormancy? do i wait till it dies down of what? same goes with the seedling macrantha? Thansk-Zach

I have growing some auriculata (from seed) in a pot together with Darlingtonias for more than 2 years now.
Each spring they have to grow through 5cm of living sphagnum but they are doing well (they flowered this year and reached 30cm)

Do i wait till the seedlings (macrantha and aurticulata) to die down on its on? How do you know they arent dead? Recently, one of the 2 macrantha seedlings died down, but the other in the same pot didnt. Thesoil is still moist and the remaning plant is growing without a thought of dieing down. Im pretty sure the other macrantha died because it kinda moled down.

Both my macrantha and aurticulata are seedlings and Im not sure how to give them a dormancy. (Sorry if i keep repeating this phrase...i need help&#33
wink.gif

See my comments on the Small Red post regarding seedling dormancy. My advice is don't do it, prevent it!

so your saying, dont give my macrantha and aurticulata seedlings a dormancy? How long do i wait till i give them one, adult? Thanks for the info-Zach

Not this year, but the next year when they form large enough tubers to survive being kept barely damp. As for auriculata and peltata the dormancy period need not be entirely dry. I have kept my peltatas on a moist dormancy for years.

Just an update...

I kept the water level of the water tray the same, and I noticed there are at least two more tubers coming out. Apparently, the bulbs want to grow.

D.peltata.jpg

Back