What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. neo-caledonica

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I am supposed to be recieving one of these shortly and I am curious as to any special conditions it might need. About all I know about it is that it is in the petiolaris complex. Any help would be great.

Pyro

judging by the name, i belive the plants are from new caleodonia (sorrie speeling is off) If im correct, this plant requires high humdity, and i lot of bright like. The jungles in new caledonia arwe filled with spagnum, so i guess live spahgum is the way to go.

Hey Pyro,
I remember reading in CPN(June '01) neocaledonica does best grown similarly to highland Nepenthes, NOT as a typical tropical. CPN= Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, published by the ICPS. It's supposed to be a tricky plant, so I hope you're ready for it.
Where did you get it, may I ask? I'm very interested in the species.
Any more questions? There's a lot more in the article.
Chris

Thanks for the info guys. I am getting more and more confused the more I hear about this plant (I was most recently told that it is actually part of the spathulata complex) but ever bit helps.

I did see that there was an article in the CPN but wouldn't you know it? That issue never showed up in my mail box! If anyone has it and could scan it and send it to me I would be very greatful

Pyro

Hi Travis,

look at your Mailbox :)

I will post my personal experience here, so more people can read it.

First, I do not believe that it is a member of the petiolaris complex (but I'm not an expert)

I'm cultivating Drosera neocaledonica for about one year and it is one of the most difficult of my Drosera. Propably THE most difficult one for me !

My first two plants (ex- invitro) NEVER produced any gluetrops and I even tried very high humidity !
I gave one away and the second one is now producing the first flower stalk. Hmmm ?
When I recieved the plants I burried some of the lower leaves with substrat when I potted them.
And almost each of these leaves produced some new plantlets. But these grow extremly slow.
The biggest of them have now about 1/2 " in diameter (after 10 months !)
Only my Drosera pauciflora grow as slowly.

So after some months I had many young plants to make some experiments...
I grow some on my south facing window with very strong (!) additional lights at about 12-15°C (more during sunshine) at winter and 25°C at summer (without additional lights)
humidity is around 70%. This plants are the biggest and are producing gluedrops.
Some other are growing with my highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora under relativly strong artificial light and very high humidity and some "fog" during night. Daytime temperature is about 25°C and nighttime between 14°C and 20°C.
This plants have very tiny gluedrops and are smaller.
I putted some plants in my greenhouse during summer and all of them died.

Substrat is peat and sand 2:1.

This is my experience...

Iwould recommend :
VERY bright light, humidity around 70% and warm but not hot temperatures.
I don't know which substrat works well.

Maybe you can share your experience in this forum after some weeks ?

I wish you good luck.
You will need it !

Martin

Martin,

First let me thank you for all that great info.

Second, you are correct that it is not a petiolaris. It is distantly related to the spathulata complex but is probably best considered as a tropical (at least according to Jan.)

I will definitly add what ever cultivation knowledge I can as time progresses. Until then wish me luck

Pyro

Back