What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.meristocaulis

I've been doing some reading on these and was wondering if people have figured them out and how they are doing in cultivation.They are a very cool dew.
Mark

This is a very nice dew! I never got the chance to grow it but few people on this forum have. I believe NaN is one of them so he will give you some info on them. I remember we talked about it at one of the LACP meetings and it didn't seem to be an easy one to grow or propagate.

Here's a link to the lacps page on D. meristocaulis that has several amazing pictures of this plant in cultivation- grown by Ivan Snyder: http://www.lacps.net/articles/drosera-meristocaulis/

I've heard they can be finicky if they aren't in the ideal conditions, but it looks like Ivan at least had the technique down- he also fed this plant wingles fruit flies!
Finding D. meristocaulis is most likely harder than actually cultivating them, which is unfortunate :crap:

This species has a reputation for being difficult to grow, mainly since it has only been in cultivation for short time (5-6 years?). Ivan Snyder has been the one most successful in growing them. He grew them in pure long fiber sphagnum under lights treating them as tropical Drosera. He was the first and for a long time the only one to get them to flower in cultivation. This species does not appear to be self-fertile and different plants seem to be needed to produce seed. The trick was getting two or more plants to flower at the same time. He was able to get seed finally. Of the seed he distributed efforts to germinate them failed (in-vitro also). He lost interest in the plant as he does with Drosera that does not propagate readily from seed. This species can be propagated from root cuttings in and out of tissue culture.

One person was able to germinate some of the second generation seeds:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=911791&postcount=14

Do not ask me for plants, after one died from fungus I gave them to Ivan Snyder. He had given away the parent plants after he lost interest in them but after finding out that the seeds were fertile his interest was re-awakened. The seeds are slow to germinate and the plants are slow growers.

Back