What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d.madagascariensis

i have a pot of these under flo lights and a pot on the window sill,they show quite different growth,the ones under flo lights are stronger looking plants,on the window sill they have a more stretched appearance which i think is more typical of the species ,all the plants under the flo lights are flowering well but are splitting,why are they splitting and is this normal is what i am after first off the plants under the flo lights ,a flower
flowerstalkvft12102012089_zpscd99501f.jpg
a splitting stem
flowerstalkvft12102012090_zpsc21dd824.jpg
pretty compact growth for the species ?
flowerstalkvft12102012093_zps9b4671ca.jpg
and now the more stretched and i think typical plants grown on the window sill with no splitting
flowerstalkvft12102012094_zpsd3997361.jpg
the only time i have had dews split in the past seems to be when the plant is stressed and these look far from stressed to me???

cool species.
One of the easiest to propagate from leaf cuttings IMO.

yours don't look particularly stressed to me in any way.

yeah those are great specimens there :)

if you have a capensis in flower, please do me a favor and cross pollinate them! ive been waiting years for mine to flower at the same time

they def dont look stressed! love madagascariensis

usually when plants flower ans split as much as it is its because your conditions are great and they have enough energy to flower and split into 2.

thats interesting corners ,i just could not recall seeing any pics of one that had split before

yeah those are great specimens there :)

if you have a capensis in flower, please do me a favor and cross pollinate them! ive been waiting years for mine to flower at the same time

how about a broadleaf cape? my regular cape will narrowly missed the windows but my broadleaf cape will still be in flower when the madagascarensis opens it's first one. would be nice if my indica would open up at the same time as the madagascar....think that would be a neat cross. i agree with corners.....the splitting does allow it to make more seed so i am guessing it is a good thing.

Last edited:
Nice plants! It's a pretty cool species. They look healthy to me too.

Back