What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. lanata

Hi,
After trying to trade for about a year in this fourm for the D.lanata gray/ green red traps, and had no success i purchased some seed from B & t world seeds last year. and acquired D.lanta and D.derbyensis seeds.The question is what is the best way to sow the seed.? Water, light temp etc.

Regards

smilie4.gif

I can't help you, but I'll be watching this thread closely. That's the way I intend to go. (Triffid Nurseries has them also - I seem to recall B&T was kinda steep)
cheers,
Ron

Check out Andrew Wilkinson's Germination Guide from Triffidnurseries.com. I use that guide to germinate all my Petiolaris Complex Drosera.

-Homer

Be sure to wash the medium used for sowing, especially if it is peat. Otherwise, you might a layer of slime mold etc. that will make germination very difficult...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Be sure to wash the medium used for sowing, especially if it is peat.
Oh yes, a must! With petiolaris seeds, I don't mess around. I rinse the peat several times with RO water, then microwave it (while wet of course). Slime mold takes a loooong time to make its presence known this way
smile_m_32.gif

-Homer

Out of curiosity, about how many seeds did you get per pack?

I got some D. derbyensis seed from B-and-T. The seeds were too small to say how many. Prob somewhere around 20? I had one plant come up. Still, that's all I really wanted.

Hi,
I think there where about 20 seeds also, out of about 40 seeds i planted lanata, derbyensis, and paradoxa, only one sprouted, that was a D.derbyensis. There all in the same container under the same conditions. It's been 3 months now?

smile_h_32.gif

Don't give up! If nothing else, resow the pot with another species and keep both markers in the pot just in case.... Petiolaris seed can germinate a long time after being sown.

I think B+T is a Lowrie distributor. It might be better to go right to the source although I haven't heard a lot of good about Lowire's seed. His "recent updates" are probably the best bet. Personally, I have never had any success with his or B+T's seed so don't take this as an endorsement!

Try to keep the temps evenly above 80F, that might bring some action.

Might.

Back