What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. indica

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hi, are you a experienced grower of D. indica? I've ran across information about these plants possibly not liking to grow next to other D. indica plants. Perhaps some chemical thing in the soil that kills other plants. I'm asking if you have ran into this? Or do yours grow fine in the same pot? Please include any growing conditions you provide (if you can) or other specific tips.
I got my seed from the ICPS seed bank and they are now seedlings with 2 trap leaves. So, now is about the time to transplant. If it be one per pot.... or 4....
They have location data of "Narrabri, NSW" if that helps at all...
Thanks!
Andrew

Andrew, how long did the take to germinate. Mine have been in for approximately five to six weeks and nothing is showing yet.

Thanks

This one is funny Copper. I have had seed sit for 6 months before it decided to spark. It likes warmth I think since it wasn't until summer that it germinated although it was sown late in the previous fall. Hang in there!

I can tell you that Narrabri in NSW certainly is not a tropical location. Actually, it barely scrapes into the subtropical range. Therefore, this form should be able to cope with temps slightly lower than those of the more tropical forms.

This form could only be a summer grower and would possibly, occasionally experience quite low nighttime temps in Narrabri as it is an inland town.

I grow mine in a heated tank with high humidity. I'm sure they would appreciate lower humidity but I am unable to provide this for them. I grow many plants per pot and have never had any problems. I think that it is a bit of a myth that they can't grow side by side. I've heard the same about Drosophyllum and this is also not true.

Copper: took less than a week.

Seandew: Thanks so much for th local information and squashing the "can't grow side by side"myth.

Anyone else have a view on this?
Thanks,
Andrew

Richard Davion did some experiments some years back and found that indica will not germinate below 26 C. You got to keep the seeds warm.

I am trying to germinate them in an enclosed seed tray, under four florescent. The temp is above 70 degrees. Should I get them warmer?

26C=78F

Well, I will move them to the lowland tank that remains between 80 to 90 degrees.

Hmm...  odd.  my house (and the grow area) usally doesn't get warmer than about 76 or so...  From the amout sprouted I would say the germination rate was very good. I guess that was close enough.
Andrew

I would not be suprise if some forms do break the rules, Drosera indica is due for revision as group, it extremely variable.

I am not fully sure it is a myth. I have had an interesting observation with this plant the number of times I have grown it. I will sow the seed and a good number will germinate but only 2-3 plants will actually grow and take off. All the others seem to arrest at seedling stage. This goes on until one of the larger plants dies at which point 1-2 of the arrested plants will take off. I had a pot which I sowed seed in go for over 2 years (and no it was not reseeding in the pot) like this and it is happening in my current pot. One of the 2 mature plants I had flowered and set seed (all of which was collected and none of which went back in the pot) and now there are 2 plants accelerating growth from what were miniscule guys.

I just pm'd Forbes about D. hartmeyerorem. Allen Lowrie probably does have seed of that species and many location forms of D. indica. he would have D. hartmeyerorem listed under one of the D. indicas, as he has known about those since the 80s, but he has been trying to work on the taxonomics of D. indica, and I don't think he ever thought about classifying D. hartmeyerorem as a new species. I am not sure what would have happed if someone had actually ordered that seed before it was found by The Hartmeyer's, lol.
There are a lot of size differences and colors between D. indica forms.
It's pretty obvious it's a odd little plant, based on the responses here.
Most people say to grow it warm. Since Seandew knows the location of that form, you would think it would respond to cooler temps it naturally grows in. Are the African forms S. Africa, or a more hot Africa locations(ie does anyone know off the top of their head)?

Regards,

Joe

Does Allen Lowrie sell seed? Hey Griffin, how'd you go to his website/seed list?

Pyro: That is very interesting!  My seedlings are still in the same pot I sowed them in and all are growing at the same rate.  I'm thinking of planting a few out and a few in the same pot to see what really happens...   In my enviroment at least...  
Joe- I have no idea...   William you arround?  
confused.gif

Copper- any germination yet?
Andrew

Back