What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. hybrida & D. sp. belem Info

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just received these two to my collection and am totally unfamiliar with them.

I read that D. hybrida is a cross between D. filiformis and D. intermedia. Logic tells me that it will require a dormancy and probably for am hibernaculum. Is that true? If it flowers, will the seeds be fertile? Will leaf cuttings work

Picture004-3.jpg

What exactly is D. sp. belem? Is it tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate? How is it grown?
Picture001-19.jpg

D. hybrida will need a dormancy. Seeds are sterile.

No idea about the other dew.

It's being circulated somehow. Will leaf cuttings work or does it clump... or both?

If a plant is identified with Genus sp. xxx it means that the species has not been identified or is unknown. In the case of Drosera sp. Belem it appears to be Drosera from around Belem, Brazil - species unidentified.

These could be a new species, a natural hybrid or a unknown form, subspecies or variety of an existing species.

Until a valid description of the new Drosera found in the Philippines is published (and the species name announced) it is designated as Drosera sp. A

It's being circulated somehow. Will leaf cuttings work or does it clump... or both?
Both, or coarse leaf cutting being quicker and easier; especially with this one.

So shall it be... next month!

Both, or coarse leaf cutting being quicker and easier; especially with this one.
I've found that D. x hybrida is very prolific with both methods. One overwintered plant produced at least 11 new growth points this spring which were easily divided into multiple plants. In addition, leaf cuttings in water produce many plantlets from each leaf (pic of sprouts in growlist).

This is a great companion plant for Sarrs - it thrives in the same conditions, produces lots of additional plants (but without the weedy self-seeding issue) & is very attractive & robust. While I'm not generally a fan of hybrids, this one has won me over & convinced me to try growing D. beleziana.

Thanks, Ron. I will try this both on the grow rack and with the mini-bog plants on the porch.

Hey Jim,
I originally received the seeds of D. sp. 'Belem, Brazil' from a Brazilian grower. After talking with Fernando Rivadavia, he explained to me that the plant most likely originated from somewhere in SE USA, but a cp vendor in Belem used to sell this species. Originally they were just labeled as "Drosera species" or something. His theory is that someone purchased a plant from the vendor, but before trading with someone, he labeled it as D. sp. 'Belem, Brazil', because he evidently assumed that the grower found it near his home. So he said to keep using the name, D. sp. 'Belem' but to assume that it is not actually from that location. People have searched that area and have not found anything that looks like it in Brazil. Once it reaches adulthood, it definitely resembles a D. capillaris, but it has a fairly unique leaf shape. Hope this helps ;)

Thanks, Aaron. I'll keep it on the rack, along with the sub-tropicals.

Back