What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. hartmeyerorum flowering.

So this thing is about 2" tall, seed germinated only months ago, and it's already flowering. Probably from the cold nights in the GH.
My question: Is there any hope this will be a seed baring flower regardless of the plant's young age?

These are basically annual plants so they should flower in the first year. With luck they may survive through another growing season. As long as you have been feeding the plants and giving them better than marginal growth conditions you should get seeds.

I would say my conditions are probably marginal at best for this species.
This one is flowering in it's first 4 month's of life. So I know something is off. Probably the cool nights.
Should I just clip the stalk and let the plant resume growth the best it can?

IMG_1633.jpg

Looks healthy, just young.

IMG_1632.jpg

I would say let it flower, but really make sure you tease the flower with a toothpick/small brush/et., just to ensure some sort of fertilization.

Too late.. it's dead.
Took the lid off of it's container to snap these pics. Forgot to put it back on.. The plant just melted away.

Note to Self: If it doesn't like nights in the 50*s, DON'T GROW IT!

A similar experience to the one I had growing, or attempting to grow, D. indica. They were sad, weak and wimpy in my 60s to 70s temps. I ended up euthanizing the crop. :(

A similar experience to the one I had growing, or attempting to grow, D. indica. They were sad, weak and wimpy in my 60s to 70s temps. I ended up euthanizing the crop. :(

Probably more like lack of light than temperature, although that can play a role.

Do they self-pollinate?

They are self-pollinating. You don't have to do anything except let them flower.

oh hey.. forgot this was my thread.

Yes they're self-pollinating, like Warren says.
They're a lot like D. indica. So if you can keep that cycle of growth going, this species is just the same.

Where's the yellow thingies supposed to be?

010-4.jpg

009-4.jpg

The yellow glands are supposed to show up at the base of the leaves. YOur plants are still small, so I don't know if they'll show up yet.

My plants had them when only an inch tall:

IMG_1632.jpg

Back