What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis & binata leaf cuttings

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
These guys were started in a cup and I just moved them to a real pot:

Picture008-7.jpg

Jim, can you elaborate a little bit on what you did, specifically with the D. filiformis? Did you cut a healthy leaf thread at the base and just placed in water? How long did the leaf stay in the water before showing signs of life?

Thanks!

The plantlets in the upper left are really cool. That is amazing that you can get 6 brand new plants from 1 leaf! How big is the mother plant?

Phil

I've only had luck with root cuttings, but it is awesome how one leaf can generate more than 5 plants.

You just cut the leaf and place it in water...all, half or just part depending how big is the leaf.
I used to cut the short ugly ones or the ones starting to die and just dump them in the water tray where the pot was sitting and tens of plants would grow from a leaf. This is easier than a cape.

this is cool. im doing this with all my old sundew leaves from now on. to bad i just trimmed mine a few days ago and left them all sun... :(

The mother plant has been in a constant state of reacting and recovering to the weather. finally, now, the plant is recovering past near freezing overnight lows. So every couple weeks I'll pluck a leaf and put in this tub of swampy LFS on the porch.

I assume flower stalks would work?

I would assume flower stalks would work.

I root my filiformis and binata leaf cuttings in a similar fashion, I simply cut the leaves into portions that fit inside of a sandwich bag, fill it an inch or two with distilled water, enough to cover all the leaves amply and take all the air of out the bag and roll it up and stick it under my lights,

since the bags are clear, you can stack multiple sets here if you want to do different plants.

once they root and show growth, ( I recently had about 15-20 per leaf on my filiformis cuttings )

I simply move the leaves onto a cp mix with alot of lfsm on top and they go on happily from there.

Did you cut a healthy leaf thread at the base and just placed in water? How long did the leaf stay in the water before showing signs of life?

Joel -- no need to use the base of the leaf, it's not any more special than the rest of the leaf. In fact, for binatas the most plants come out of the forked part. Usually the stalks just make a few plantlets.

I leave the cuttings floating in the water for a couple months. By then I almost always see a lot of growth. Filiformis tend to make more plantlets than binatas in my experience.

Back