What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. falconeri

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Well, through no special action or attention on my part it seems that one of my D. falconeri has decided that it wants to flower. Now the question is, seeing as it is only about a month and a half out of TC should I whack the flowers off? The plant is growing strong and fast but I would hate to set it back or kill it by stressing it too much so soon out of culture.

Thoughts?

Pyro,

I cannot guarentee that flowering weaken my falconeri, but out of 3 I let flower to try some crosses 2 went downhill immediately after the flowering. I do not think I will be trying that again soon just in case.

Cheers

I suggest you remove the scape. Flowering definately set my plant back big time.

My Drosera falconeri behave very similar to my  Drosera burmannii. No matter how many flower stalks I cut off, the more quickly others appear. So I gave up, lazy CP grower that I am, and they just let them put their efforts into the one (well, honestly, I do sometimes pinch them off still, but for me this is like doing the same thing and expecting different results, and, so far, the results have been the same), and then after they seem finished with that they seem to take a break for a few months.

Hope my ramblings above are understandable. Don't be surprised if I edit this from time to time.

Well the deed is done. I hacked them off and we shall see what happens. If it grows a second scape I may let it do its thing, or I may not.

Now if I can just figure out why my second plant got all shrivled yesterday...???

The single most important thing I have noted for consistent growth is a lack of night time drops in temperature. Since applying bottom heat at night my plants have doubeled in size, and my D. falconeri is offsetting. I noticed the wilting problem when cooler temperatures hit. I increased both heat and humidity (bag it) with good effect.

It is probably the temp drop as it was sitting (bagged) on the windowsill (which might have a draft.) I'll move it and see if I can figure out a way to heat it 24/7

Back