What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. erythrorhiza ssp. magna

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
The plant

erythrorhiza%20magna%20opened%201.JPG

And some cool close ups

erythrorhiza%20prey%20close%20up.JPG

erythrorhiza%20wave%20of%20tenticles.JPG

What a wonderful plant. Going to have to add to the old wish list. Congrats on all the healthy looking plants. You must have a way.

The way is blind stinking luck and a crawlspace that stay at about 65F all the time. Great place for out of synch Aussie plants and highland plants

Well done with the erythrorhiza, certainly not one of the easiest species to grow. I know, I had couple of shocking years with my erythrorhiza's
sad.gif

One thing I have notice about species such as erythrorhiza and whittakerii is they don't colour up like they do in the wild when in cultivation. It not the amount of sunlight. It something lacking in the soil. I seen Drosera whittakerii in wild.You do see the normal green leaf, red tentacles plants but many will have red, deep purple, sometime even orange in leaves. I find you see these forms often in red or orange clayey soils. The erythrorhiza it often found in laterite soil which contain fair bit of iron. While I have not seen erythrorhiza in the wild, the photos I have seen show plants with a large range of colours Photos of erythrorhiza ssp magna in the wild are stunning.

WOW. Gorgeous plant there Travis. Yeah...another one to lust after.

Wonderful macro shots.
smile.gif
I enjoyed that.

Great one Pyro: your temperature (perhaps) explain me why mine just didn't grow much before stepping back in dormancy: it was about 80°F where it grew... :/

Wow great plant/pics! I'd never heard of this plant, when I saw the pics I thought of d. schizandra. I assume its tuberous, right?
smile.gif

It common name is Red Ink Sundew. The first white settlers in WA uses the tubers to make a red ink for writting.

It common name is Red Ink Sundew. The first white settlers in WA uses the tubers to make a red ink for writting.

Back