What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. cuneifolia help

Hahahaha! maybe i SHOULD HAVE went with the D. slackii! No confusion there!

D. slackii ranks up there with D. hamiltonii for looking crappy most of the time. The tentacles shrivel up quickly and the red trichomes on the underside of the leaves look yucky. I wonder if it is evolving away from carnivory.

P1120112.jpg

P1120111.jpg

Here's an interesting page on D. cistiflora by Phil Faulisi. He says he forces his winter growing Drosera into dormancy if they don't go dormant on their own by mid-July. The reason he gives is that the plants grow more vigorously (faster, larger) when the get dormancy. My D. trinervia have always gone dormant but I can say that while they look crappy for about 6 weeks when they first start regrowing they will quickly grow to more than double their pre-dormancy size (up to their max size). The surviving seedlings went from a few millimeters across to about a third the adult size.

when i originally bought this plant, the owner told me that it was heading into dormancy--HOWEVER, not the normal dormancy that winter growing sundews head into, but rather as a result of being left outside with the cooling temperatures. He told me that if I grew it along the lines of my capensis, then it would resume growth--which makes me think that this plant has no true dormancy--which does support the possibility of being cuneifolia/admirabilis. Does this help make things clearer?

If the plant is suffering now because I placed it in lowland conditions for the past month and a half *cringe*-- which i am hoping is the problem. It saddens me that it took me a month and a half to realize this, but I do hope with proper cultivation, it will spring back in no time.

@Not a Number--your slackii looks decent. not too shabby at all :)

Thought I would chime in and agree with those that have stated cuneifolia prefers cooler temps. My plants suffer through the hottest part of summer (80-85 high temps), at which time the larger leaves die back and they persist as a bud of unfurled leaves until temps cool (not fully dying back to the roots as with the winter growers). They recover in the fall, but are truly at their prime during winter when the nights cool off as well (70 F days, 60 F nights).

Also, I have heard from other growers who keep their plants in a cooler greenhouse that they will tolerate much colder temps during winter than they would experience in nature without dying- they simply stop growing until the temps come back up into their ideal range.

thanks a lot Dave, and thanks for everyone's input. i'll be placing the plant under highland conditions now. we'll see what happens in a couple of months--or half a year--or a year....

IT'S ALIIIIIIVE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
mwahaha.gif

DSCN2929.jpg

Great, and I'd say that it is D. cunefolia.

thanks everyone for your help! it's because of you guys and your great advice that this plant is back and running in the game! i just wanted to share with you what your advice produced.

Good job with the cutting!

Back