What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis transplant phenomenon

Greetings all,

A couple of months ago I transplanted a number of D. capensis from a pot into my minibog. Although they are all doing well (growing vigorously and flowering), the leaves that they are sending up now are quite a bit shorter than the ones that they used to send up prior to the transplant.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Andrew

It could just be stress from all the flowers. Nothing to worry about. If you are really worried though, you could just snip off the flower stalks.

-Ben

To me, it sounds like something that happened here, I think the stronger sun may make the leaves more compact-like temporarily broader and shorter, give it a couple weeks and it'll get larger most likely, and cutting the flowers off is also a perfect suggestion

mine is also doing this...the leaves have always been more compact since i moved it outside but now they are smaller...due to flowering most likely.
Alex

'Compact' is a very good description for what I see now. The leaves used to be approx. 50% longer, but there were fewer leaves per plant.

I'm not sure about the flowering explanation since the plants were flowering before the transplant as well as after.

Anyway, they all seem very happy, so I guess that I won't worry about it.

Andrew

My D. capensis plants do that every year about this time. Usually I have the longest and most showy leaves first thing in the spring. As the days grow longer and hotter the plants react by shortening their leaves (and throwing up bazillions of flower stalks).

Generally I clip most flower stalks as soon as I can get the scissors to them. The plants still keep the smaller summertime leaves. I suspect that the smaller growth is more a result of the heat and sun than it is from the flowers.

Cheers
Steve

Mine got smaller when I moved them out to the mini bogs because of the full sun compaired to the 50% sun inside the GH. Thats my story and I;m sticking to it. LOL Of course they got burned up in the begining, but when they came back they were generaly smaller than the ones in the GH.

Perhaps this was just a seasonal thing then. They are getting the same light that they did in the pot where the used to live. Over the last couple of years, they have lived in a 4" pot along with a Sarracenia x 'Dixie Lace'--I got them for free as little tiny plants (read weeds), but they grew to the point that I decided that I should move them to the new bog.

It's possible that this 'compacting' happened before but I just didn't notice because they were smaller and partially obscured by the Sarracenia.

Andrew

Back