What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis root cuttings...

I have a D. Capensis "narrow leaf" that i'm thinking of taking some root cuttings from (it's roots are 6-8" long from the base of the plant) while i'm repotting it. I was wondering if anyone's tried taking root cuttings of this one and how it worked out?

I'm also curious, does anyone know how much is too much to take from the plants?

confused.gif

Vertigo,

This plan of yours should be fool proof. You could probably take half the roots(meaning half of each root) and get away with it, but you might want to leave some intact. Take half of the roots you want, cut into 1" pieces and at least cover the ends in your pot of medium. You can barely cover the root cuttings too.
Hope that helps.
Regards,

Joe

Hehe, actually that helps a lot. I was starting to wonder if I was going to have to plant it in a bucket to keep the roots growing.

At one inch sections I could get about three or four cuttings out of each root...meaning at least fifteen (there's three plants in the pot...all with the same size roots).

So...i'll see what happens if I leave at least one or two of the healthier roots in tact for each plant, and use one-third to one-half the rest of the roots for cuttings.

So other than the cuttings being roots and not leaves it's basically the same thing?

Back