What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis - free sase/no trade needed

Hi All!

This is uncharted territory here
wow.gif
. Since my cp collection is small I do not end up going to the trading forums. Anywhoo...

I have a D. Capensis which is flowering or has been for the past two weeks. I know they produce seeds, so I was wondering how long do you have to wait? Do they just drop on the ground?

Like the title says *yada yada*. I am wanting to give away the seeds to people that do not have many cps or zero D. Capensis sundews. I will take up to the first three people that message me and once the seeds drop or whatever I will send them out asap. If more seeds drop I will let you all know and give out more seeds till they are gone.

Travis

Travis,
D. capensis readily self-seeds. If you want to be sure, gently pinch the flowers right after they close. This helps ensure the pollen reaches the pistol...key word here is "gently." Don't squish the poor thing!
In my experience, there are typically 12 to 20 flowers on a stalk, and each bud is capable of producing a lot of seeds. They're really tiny, so I never really counted!
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, it takes *I think* 4 or so weeks (maybe a hair longer) for the seed pods to ripen. They also usually ripen in the same order they openned (bottom to top).
Collecting seeds is easy...once the seed pods turn brown, keep a close eye on them...they will eventually start to split open. At this point, tap them gently onto a plain white piece of paper, and the seeds will just fall out.
Good luck!

Thanks schloaty.
smile.gif
I will give them a pinch soon.

Travis

Hi. i would like some seeds. i have no drosera of any type now
sad.gif
. i hope you send to canada. thanks. Zongyi

I only have 2 vft 2 drosera splatula and mexicanbutterwort.And i keep em in a one gallon terrerium

You see lots of drosera capenis in books and stuff.they are one of my favorite plants.
biggrin.gif

I have a question about closed flowers of D. Capensis and D. Spatulata. Can I cut off the flower stalks after all the flowers have closed or do the flower stalks have to stay on the plant for the seeds to form? Thanx for the info. LA Traphole

they have to stay on the plant!

Pardon Me, I have been gone on vacation for Labor Day weekend. I will still have some seeds available. Message me if you want some seeds. Just to let you know, there may be a wait until the d. capensis pops out any seeds but as soon a it does I will ship them out.

Travis
smile.gif

If I have replied to you about seeds, I have not forgotten. My Capensis is slow spitting out seeds (meaning I am still waiting for seeds).
smile.gif
I will send the seeds out asap.

Travis

I realize that this is not the best post but if you could do me a BIG favor. That is to stick this topic on top (with the moon thingy). It would be most appreciated by me and possible others that are expecting seeds. The reason is my D. Capensis has not spit out the seeds yet and just want to keep people updated until seeds have dropped. I may also have extra seeds to give away. I have a few ppl that may start to wonder why they are not getting any seeds from me and do not want that to happen.

Thanks-A-Bunch,
Travis
smile.gif

how long does it take for capensis seeds to germinate?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cynic81 @ Sep. 30 2003,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how long does it take for capensis seeds to germinate?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I have know idea...taking forever that is all I have to say.
confused.gif

just a update:
thanks Travis, but i don't need the seeds anymore since i just got some. give it to someone more needy
smile.gif
. the seeds i got germinated in about a week. Zongyi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I realize that this is not the best post but if you could do me a BIG favor. That is to stick this topic on top (with the moon thingy). [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Er, Travis, do you mean to ask "please pin this to the top of the forum until my darn seeds ripen?" or something like that?

confused.gif
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so will there be extra Capensis seeds [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I am sure I will have plenty of seeds left for others. If you do not mind waiting I will ship some out to you. Just message me. It has been a little over a month so any day they should ripen. Do not need to worry about SASE it is only 37 cents to mail out or 4 pop bottles.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Er, Travis, do you mean to ask "please pin this to the top of the forum until my darn seeds ripen?" or something like that? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes that would be lovely. It will only be temporarily, Thanks.

Zongyi_Yang:
Glad to hear that. Happy growing!
smile.gif

Travis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ Sep. 30 2003,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is to stick this topic on top (with the moon thingy).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You kids and your sticky notes!
wink.gif
  Don'tcha recognize an old fashion push pin pinning a note?  Back in aught whatever, when I was a kid, they had cork bulletin boards and they used push pins for tacking up notes & messages.  And I had to walk to school barefoot in winter in three feet of snow. It was up hill both to and from school.

*BCK wanders off muttering about ''These kids nowdays....."*
rolleyes.gif

Just yankin' your chain a bit
wink.gif

smile.gif
.   I gotta lay off the caffeine.
rolleyes.gif

alien.gif

Hey I did walk two miles to school. In the snow in winter. And the beginning and the end were hills.......

What really sucked was that fifty feet away from my front door was a bus stop. The city deemed that you had to live on the other side of the bus stop to take the bus so I was out of luck. I'm still angry about it! Oh, well. It probably got me hooked on staying in shape.
rolleyes.gif

Well back in the weeee 1900's when I was a young lad. I had to walk to school when we had about 3 feet or so of snow. Dat was back in the DA U.P.. The only thing living in California you have baby skin to the snow and it is really cold *brrr*. O' the trauma...but do recall wearing shoes.

I believe I have enough people to distribute the seeds.  As the days/weeks go on I will let you know if I have any extras to give away. Just do not want to say yes to everybody then not have any seeds in the end.

Enjoy,
Travis

OBTW BCK
Caffeine is the bomb!

Back