What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. californica seeds...

Uh... How do I grow D. californica from seed, hehehe...

I dont suppose THEY need the cold water treatment do they???

Also, do they need stratification???

Thanks

Hi Parasuco,
Place the seeds ina saucer of water, let them soak. Place the saucer in the refridgerator allow to freeze. Take the ice disc with the seeds in it and place on top of compost in a suitably large pot with peat/perlite mix pre wetted. When the ice has melted, place the pot in normal Darlingtonia conditions and a few weeks later the seeds should germinate

ok, neat.

when u say darlingtonia conditions, do u mean that i should give them refredgerated water?

High humidity i suppose kuz they're seeds...

How did this method turn out? I am very interested....

Just call em up and say "Hey, remember when you tried to grow darlingtonia from seed nine years ago? How'd that turn out?" And watch them be very creeped out... :lol:

Hahahaha thanks, I was looking whether or not I should stratify my seeds....

Treat them just like sarr seeds......a month in the fridge inside a bag with a wet piece of LFS wil do the trick.

The verdict is still out on stratification. Many European growers, particularly those in the UK say stratification is not needed. My own tests with freshly collected seed (both from the field and from cultivated plants) yielded no germination without stratification. Same if the seeds had been dry stored in the refrigerator at least 3 months. Norm Deno's study showed Darlingtonia seed would germinate after 30 days of cold moist stratification (100%) and not without it.

Bottom line is stratification will not hurt your chances of germination.

Back