What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii green flowering

9:30 am News years morning; I was making coffee when my girl friend walked in from my “grow area” and said that there was a very pretty flower sticking out of the cute little green thingy plant.  Sure ‘nuff…my D. burmannii green was in full flower.  What a wonderful New Years present.
I grabbed my camera and started taking pics.  Bright sun was causing the color to wash out and a slight onshore breeze was blowing just enough to set the flower bouncing around…focus was near impossible.  Twenty eight pics later…
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

laugh.gif

Is this some kinda' pretty...or what?
Burmanni_flower.sized.jpg

You were right Tamlin...getting a pic of one of these is tougher than finding gold...but then...you have heard that story already.
What are the little white "spider" like things on the flower petals?

Beautiful photo Lauderdale! Love that.
smile.gif

I'm going to hire you to go prospecting! Lucky find and great photo!

SF

Very nice photo! The spider things are the glasslike and highly divided styles of Drosera burmannii.

Here is a shot of Drosera sessilifolia, the South American counterpart to D. burmannii. I thought this would be a good time to compare the flowers. Like D. burmannii the flowers are rarely open.

Drosera_sessilifolia_flower_091603_4.sized.jpg

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>These photos are like diamonds! Very nice, thanks for sharing them.

28 times is good shooting. I am lucky if I get one that nice after 100 shots, even when using a tripod.</span>

How long does it take for the seeds to mature? I'm itching to get some of those.I keep reading about how the retentive glands can close around prey in about 1 minute in my Savage Garden book and it makes me want them more and more
biggrin.gif

Mark W.

Hi,

In my experience, it is not that rare to see an opened flower of D. burmannii. You have to look very early in the morning. D. burmannii needs lots of light and warmth to open a flower. They are opened for only a very short time. Here is a flower of one of my plants :

d-burmanii_11_26062003_001tn.jpg

flower of Drosera burmannii

The petals in my plant are nearly transparent, while the ones in the pictures above are more white.

Christian

Back