What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. botswana, D. slackii  & D. prolifera

Hello,

Just got from a trade D. botswana & D. slackii and was wondering if any one had some advise as to what growing conditions they preferred? I am trying to figure out where in the grow room to place them.

I got also got a D. prolifera which the savage garden states likes the same conditions as D. adelae ( not direct light and sphagnum). Advise on this one would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Andre

Well, first off, there is no D. Botswana.  This is likely to be Drosera madagascariensis "Botswana".  Please change your label name on that one, and also note all the names after the species name are always lower case.

Both D. madagascariensis and D. slackii are subtropical South African Drosera requiring:

good light
pure water via tray while in active growth
40%+ humidity
peat/sand mix 50/50
above freezing temps
Preferably cool nights

Sometimes they have a rest type dormancy when dgrowth ceases and rosettes turn brown.  I keep D. madagascariensis just in the same conditions as when growing when this happens.  D. slackii I keep less wet if and when it dies back.

D. prolifera did best for me in live milled LFS, kept just moist and at the ends of the light tubes.

Back