What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata

Hi All,

I've got a D. binata that's growing well -- has 12" leaves, but at the end where it forks and is supposed to have little hairs and dew, it just sort of dries up. There are no leaves that can catch anything right now because of this. Any ideas why this is happening? I have my other droseras in small individual terrariums, but the binata's leaves are too long for me to do this with. It's inside, by a south facing window, no direct sun, and sits in a saucer of water.

Thanks.

cpwitch

I'm not sure i understand. Are you saying there are 12" stalks, but no traps?!? That's quite a D. binata. It sounds more like a D. dichotoma 'giant' to me.

Anyway, my dichotoma giant started producing leaves with blackened ends when i was watering it with tap water. I can only assume it was due to the salts from the water. Since returning to distilled, it now has nice delicate ends.

I am concerned that you say the plant is getting no direct sun. These are very high light subjects: I grow mine outside in full sun. They do not do well when large in terraria. I have a hunch that your plant has likely become etiolated from lack of light, and the weaker growth resulting from this has dried out. I suggest that you move the plant to where it gets more light, but acclimate it slowly. If you give it more light, the new leaves that develop will be stronger, and better able to withstand lower humidity and//or hard sunlight. The good news is that these plants are tough, and very willing to adjust to whatever you give them. Hope this helps.

Some of the binata complex do grow in situations of no direct sun light though they do seem to grow better with it. This species does like is high humidity and good quality water. It is rarely found around rivers with suburban runoff!

Greg

Thanks folks. I am giving the binata (all my cp's) distilled water, so I don't that's it. The ends form but just frazzle out. I'm always concerned about giving the plants direct sun as I'm in So. Calif. and it's so hot here, but I have some vft's outside and they seem to love it.

Tamlin, I'll do as you suggest and put it in a sunnier windowsill for part of the day and see if that helps. Otherwise, it's been doing well since I got it in April.

cpwitch

Galen,

If you are  growing Dionaea outdoors, D. binata should do well in similar conditions.  The plant really likes it quite wet: I keep mine at the same depth as my Sarracenia.  Just remember to go slow with acclimating it to the outdoors: think white baby skin lying in the sun!

Most Drosera species do not really require terrarium culture. Although they appear delicate, they are really high light plants, and can take the harsher conditions, provided that they are slowly hardened off. I find a RH of 40% and above is fine for most of the species I grow.

Back