What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata

I have a very happy d. binata on a windowsill that is throwing up its 2nd flower in a month. Is this natural?? I am wondering if when the flower is done its thing if there is any chance for seed, or should I just cut them off?

Most sundews will self pollinate. Let the stalks dry out for a chance at seed. D. binata regularly sends up nunmerous flower stalks in the growing season. I had 1 come up and cut off 3 other ones that otherwise would be on the plant now!

You will find that many forms of D. binata rarely self pollinate. If you are lucky you may have one that does. The only way to find out is to wait and see. Otherwise you can easily pollinate them yourself with a small paintbrush or something similar. They do tend to weaken the plants a bit, so if you are not after seed and like the look of a plant with strong healthy leaves- cut the flower stems off.

Regards,

Sean.

That is my understanding as well...that binatas in general do not self. I've also been told you need two different plants to cross pollinate. I've never had two blooming at the same time to try it though.

I have a D.Binata Dichotoma that has eight "branches" that are over a foot from crown to base of the "Ts". They hang down so much I had to make it a hanging basket. This thing is my Champeen bug catcher of my collection...cadavers practically cover it. It has never flowered but has two little "pups" growing about three inches from the plant. It looks like they are springing up from a runner...or something. Is it normal for them to reproduce this way.
confused.gif

D. binata of any variety pops up readily from it's roots and from and pieces of leaf that may fall upon the media. PlantAKiss is right, the majority of D. binata varieties do need a seperate gene pool to pull from to pollinate so you would need a different clone of the plant. That's a good reason to remember where you received a plant from, so you can track if a similar plant might infact be the same clone.

I thought I did read somewhere of a D. binata that did not require as such, but it slips my mind at the moment.

Back