What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata (multifida extrema) cutting

I just made an D. binata (multifida extrema) leaf cutting and it have about 3 leaves that only branch in 2 sections, like a D. binata. My question is that how long will it takes for the leave cutting of an D. binata (multifida extrema) to branch more than 2 sections? And does D. binata (multifida extrema) like to be in LFS only media?

D. binata (multifida extrema) like LFS, or a peat-sand/or straight peat mix. As far as branching in the leaves, when the plant is ready(2 days to 2 months from now) it will branch out and become a living spider web. Any insect that touches it is a candidate for lunch!

Isn't D. 'Marston Dragon' the same thing as D. binata (multifida extrema)?

I believe Marston Dragon is an hybrid of Binata Multifidia 'extrema' and Dichotoma 'Giant'.

This thread is scary! Are we trying to recreate plant taxonomy?

Drosera 'Marston Dragon' and Drosera 'Giant' are cultivars of Drosera binata. I wish that more of the plants mentioned in this thread were also.

confused.gif

As far as i no about the D. 'Marston Dragon' from the Exoctic Garden book is that it have less divisions than the D. binata (multifida extrema). But i don't no if it true or not cuz its my first time growing D. binata (multifida extrema).

Drosera 'Marston Dragon' is not the same thing as Drosera binata (multifida extrema). Drosera 'Marston Dragon' is a cultivar produced by crossing between unspecified Drosera binata growth types. See: Link to cultivar description for more information.

Other than a few cultivars from Drosera binata that have been registered, there are no other official and valid names for Drosera binata. Some Drosera binata of different appearances (growth habit, coloration, etc.) have, at times, been called by various names. None of these names are currently considered taxonomically valid. To avoid confusion it has been the practice among horticulturists (growers), to place these additional descriptive terms in parentheses or double-quotes (i.e. Drosera binata "multifida extrema") to assist in more accurately describing which Drosera binata is under discussion.

Yep, naked names.

Word is that a taxonomist is working at clearing up this issue with the Drosera binata complex. But, I would love to know who the taxonomist is and when they plan to have a definitive answer to this issue.

Back