What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata, interesting trait

I had a Binata a while back and shortly after it's initial planting the tentacles died off though the stems seemed perfectly healthy. I trimmed the stems back slightly and was relieved to see that new tentacles grew in their place and formed the usual split. This got me to wondering something though, and I trimmed the splits themselves on a healthy tentacle. A few days later the cut tentacles started growing new splits. After they formed I cut one of the new tentacles and new growth formed that split as well.

I was just wondering, running across this forum, is this a normal trait for a Binata?

I read somewhere that a Drosera binata can split
up to 8 times.

what do you mean by tentacles? also, binata don't have stems, just leaves: the long single bit is the leaf stalk and the forked bit is the leaf blade; do you mean you cut off the leaf blade and new leaves unrolled from the bud in the centre, or that you cut off part of the leaf blade and it still kept growing??

i think he means the leaf blade.

The leaf blade, yes.

The part that splits.
The plant thingies that have all that weird red goo on them...(jk)

I cut the leaf blade itself in half, and new leaf blades grew and split from the cut. I also cut the leaf stalk below the leaf blade split and it grew (though I'd sort of expect this) new leaf blades.

This is going to look stupid no doubt but...

I had one of the binata stalks that looked like this:

|
|
/ \
/ \ \

That is to say, three leaf blades. This continued whenever I cut an actual blade be it on a new growth split, or on the first split.

Sunaris, I have one right now that is doing just as your pictoral describes. I haven't cut anything to achieve it.

I have one binata complex that is fairly rare in collections these days. Its name is Drosera binata dichotma "small form". I have given some of this to Pyro and Wesley. It is a splitter and a half. Commonly it splits up to 16 times, and has been known to fork as many as 31 times. Mine never surpassed 27 forks. The binata multifida "extrema" has been known to fork up to 50 times, and is indeed a living spider web. These add a lot of beauty to a Drosera collection.

The natural splitting of sertain cultivars as bugweed states is rather awsome, but this is not what you are refering to, is it? It sounds to me like you are inducing new growth by pruning back ;) This is indeed a trait of binata. I belive it has something to do with the excessive amount of stem cell tissue throughout the plant. I've seen a lot of drosera, but this is the only one I know of that will bud off new plants all along the leaf blades. I mean ALL along it, not just some points, but anywere. I'm sure the two ablities are linked ;) Oh and if you want to try inducing your binata into making plantlets ever .5cm or so along all of the blade try upping the humidity a lot or gently bending over one of the leaves so that the blade soaks in a cup of pure water ;) The plantlets will form on the LIVE leaf and the whole thing ends up acting rather like a runner o_O

That's right, Darcie. I am speaking of natural forking of the leaves.

Maybe its acting like a cut bulb and will grow from the cut end. I shopuld think binata cells have the tendency to split wherever they grow so, why not?
smile_m_32.gif

Has this a connection with false vipiary?

Back