What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata (Dichotoma)

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
I have a quick question or two...I have the above plant, newly repotted, doing fine with 10 tendrils starting to unfurl at the ends. Two days ago I noticed one of them going black halfway up the stem, today it is all black.
Should I remove this? What would cause this? ???
Thanks for any insight here

Questions:
- Repotted with what media?
- Growing in what conditions
- Light?
- Humidity?
- Water?
- Temperatures?
BTW, they are leaves, it is not a vining plant, so not tendrils.

The blackening of newly forming leaves, can be inspired by various issues. Most common are lack of moisture in the media and/or humidity in the air. Though other environmental factors can also inspire such behavior. My favorite remedy, if the plant isn't already sitting in a shallow tray of purified water, is to place it in such a tray.

Last edited:
i was going to ask about temperatures and photo period. This form goes dormant for me and that is more or less what happens to them when they do it for me. leaves turn black and die slowly. i think it does so if temps get into the 40's.....

repotted in 1 part peat- 1 part sand.
growing near a west facing window in my office, in a tray of water.
supplemental lighting with a 250 wtt plant bulb 12" above plant.
Humidity in the home is around 50%
I use collected rain water.
day time temps are high 60's to low 70's night temps down into the low 60's upper 50's.
The plant looks fine, many growing leaves and new growth points as well.
This one leaf just gave it up for some reason, thought maybe I had damaged it or something.
BTW thanks for the corrections JC, I need to learn a lot!

Was the affected leaf new or older? As they senesce, older leaves usually blacken and die from their outer edges (distal ends) down to their bases. If this starts happening with young leaves, besides low moisture or low humidity, it can also be caused by an infestation of spider mites. They are very small and can usually only be seen with a magnifying lens.

not mites, I know them all to well. No bugs or any other sign of stress. This one stem just started blackening halfway up. New growth buds at the base appear to be expanding nicely.
I am hoping this was just a "freak thang".
Thanks for the help!

Back