What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.biflora

mabudon

Metal King
Hey folks,
I got a tiny D.biflora plant a month or so ago and I don't know what it is trying to prove....
I have it near some D.collinsae and D.madagascarensis that are doing really well...
The D.biflora is kinda looking like its making hibernaculae or something, but its definitely going downhill...
What's the deal?? Yesterday I moved it to my windowsill in desperation (I have a colony of D.tokaiensis there doing well albeit less colourful than the ones under lights).
Any specific thing that this Drosera needs different than others???

(PS- I'm pretty sure I have the capitalization wrong on the species, please correct me- I imagine it's a D.rotundifolia subtype and thus capital "B" )

Is this a temperate species?

I guess I should reply, considering I was the one who introduced this species into cultivation! ;)

***IF*** you have the correct plant, then it should look like D.capillaris/ esmeraldae, since it's very simialr to both.

I collected this species in the N state or Roraima, Brazil, growing in sandy soil in a savanna area. Being a typical savanna habitat, the area dries up completely for a few montsh of the year. Considering the size of the plants I saw (tiniest buggers!) I would say it grows as an annual in the wild.

BUT... this does not mean it can't grow as a perennial in cultivation, which is what I believe it does do. Please ask Sundew Matt since he has been growing them for several years now.

Good Luck!
Fernando Rivadavia

Hi madubon,

Highland conditions would probably be best. Maybe keep the plants cooler during the day with high humidity.

CP2K- Hello to you!! I have already moved it to a place with 15-16 C highs, that's about all I could think of...
Fernando- the plant hasn't been much to look at yet, it was tiny when I got it and is still tiny, and doesn't currently have any leaves, but from what I saw it is the correct plant...
Starman- Nope, apparently not...
jimscott- thanks for your help- I had imagined that there would likely be tons of different "right way"s and I guess I was right ;)

Thank you all for the help, when I get around to posting my growlist you will see if it helped any
smile.gif

NO, NO, NO!!! Definitely NOT highland!!! D.biflora is one of the rare LOWLAND species in S.America.

It was growing at ~200m altitude or less in a really hot, steamy region just N of the Amazon, located at the base of the Gran Sabana plateau, which is ~1000-1400m, from which rise the famous tepuis. Really, it was one of the hottest places I've ever been!!

Take Care,
Fernando

Sorry, my mistake. All of the brazilian sp. I have grown, grew well in highland conditions. I guess this is different though.
What are the other lowland species?

Other lowlanders in S.America include:

D.sessilifolia -- from sea level to ~1200m (but more common at lower altitudes)

D.intermedia -- coastal habitats in E Brazil (but also on Gran Sabana, at ~1000m)

D.capillaris -- coastal habitats in Brazil and lowland habitats in the Venezuelan Llanos(?)

D.esmeraldae -- lowland habitats in N Amazon (Brazil, Ven., Colombia?) up to ~1000m(?)

D.brevifolia -- both lowland (including coastal) and highland habitats in Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, & Argentina

D.communis -- usully highland, but occasional lowland in NE Brazil and Llanos of Ven.& Colombia

D.cayennensis -- both lowland & highland in various countries

D.chrysolepis & D.tomentosa -- both highland species, but which occur in coastal habitats in Bahia, NE Brazil

I think that's more or less it...

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Back