What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. ascendens

Hi all,
I haven't been on here in a long time. A while back I had to pack up and move and I have been keeping busy with work, etc...
Last week my neighbor's dog got up here and tore up some of my plants. I was kinda p PO'ed but no biggie except one of my plants was D. ascendens.
Does anyone here have this plant? It seems to be just impossible to find. Where can I find it?

Does anyone here have this plant?
Yup. A year or 2 ago, I noticed the same thing and decided to try & change the status (check my growlist for specific locations).
It seems to be just impossible to find. Where can I find it?
I traded seeds with some Brazilian growers (& am still looking for several locations) to get the ones I have. I've traded a few away to some domestic growers & will share more if I can get some seed or successfully propagate some of my stock. A few years back I had a plant that died immediately after flowering - but before that I'd taken some leaves & was very successful with water propagation. I took some leaves from 2 different location plants ~a month ago and they have yet to develop any sprouts (not really a good sign). Hopefully I'll have some success soon with my attempts.

On a related note, D. ascendens close relative - D. villosa has been a real pain for me to find it's 'happy zone'. I germinated seed around the same time as the D. ascendens locations & the villosa's have been consistently a pain. While some are now reaching close to adult size, others are busy trying to die. One day a villosa will look very happy and growing well and the next, it's leaves lay down and look wilted & lose all dew. Meanwhile the plant next to it is doing fine. Two weeks later, they will swap positions with one looking healthy & the other sickly.

I keep meaning to open a thread on these frustrations and look for some recommendations from other growers - but in the meantime - if anyone has successfully grown D. villosa - please share your insights ....:hail:

I may need some too........... :-(

My plants started looking bad, and as usual I kept putting off repotting them. (Ron you may recall where mine came from, I think you also got a pot when we visited Rob.)

I just repotted a week or so ago.... no more green. All brown. Hope I get some new growth to come up from the roots.

Ron you may recall where mine came from, ...
Yup - remember it well. You scored a humboldtii within a foot or 2 of the ascendens also.

I really liked that pit greenhouse - seems like an excellent idea to keep it a bit cooler in summer & warmer in winter. When I get an opportunity to make one, I want to build on that design...
I think you also got a pot when we visited Rob.)
Nope. IIRC. I still had the one I got in the NASC auction (donated by Tom Hayes / Dave Evans).

Yup - remember it well. You scored a humboldtii within a foot or 2 of the ascendens also.

I really liked that pit greenhouse - seems like an excellent idea to keep it a bit cooler in summer & warmer in winter. When I get an opportunity to make one, I want to build on that design...
Nope. IIRC. I still had the one I got in the NASC auction (donated by Tom Hayes / Dave Evans).
Yup - U. humboldtii...... SCORE!

I think it was Gale who scored the other D. ascendens.

On a related note, D. ascendens close relative - D. villosa has been a real pain for me to find it's 'happy zone'. I germinated seed around the same time as the D. ascendens locations & the villosa's have been consistently a pain. While some are now reaching close to adult size, others are busy trying to die. One day a villosa will look very happy and growing well and the next, it's leaves lay down and look wilted & lose all dew. Meanwhile the plant next to it is doing fine. Two weeks later, they will swap positions with one looking healthy & the other sickly.

I keep meaning to open a thread on these frustrations and look for some recommendations from other growers - but in the meantime - if anyone has successfully grown D. villosa - please share your insights ....:hail:

Re: D. villosa - I'm just growing them on my balcony, pot shielded from sun, plants behind taller plants blocking most of the afternoon sun. Pot is usually 2/3 to 1/2 in water.

Like all my South American Drosera they want a good temperature drop at night. In my neck of the woods thats 10-20F in the summer, average drop is about 13F.

P8260057.jpg

P8260056.jpg

Not a Number,
Are you sure that's a D. villosa? Looks like D. capensis.

I thought D. villosa and D. ascendens looked very similar.

My D. ascendens.
Dascendens.jpg

Not a Number,
Steve,
Here's a good thread on this issue.

In it, Fernando provides this explanation:
Hey Guys,

It's true you can't formally use D.villosa var/subsp. ascendes, but the name D.ascendens is legitimate. This is how Saint Hilaire originally published them, as 2 separate species (D.villosa and D.ascendens). They are simialr in floral parts, but the leaves are different in that D.villosa has petioles longer than the lamina while D.ascendens has petioles usually much shorter than the lamina, but in shadier habitats they may be almost equally as long. D.villosa usually has narrower, more upright leaves too. D.ascendens is extremely variable in the wild. The larger plant on the right in taht 1st picture seems like the form from the Serra dor Orgaos (or Orgelgeberge, or something like that in German), which is the one most common in cultivation (and not the one from Caparao, William).

As for D.graomogolensis, the rosettes are almost identical to some forms of D.ascendens. Here the differences are in the floral parts and seeds. The seeds of D.graomogolensis are rounder, the flowers fewer, pedicels longer, sepals smaller, petals parger, stamens larger, styles longer, and scapes longer too I think.

And there's a 4rth taxon to this complex, but I think it was lost in cultivation...

... - but before that I'd taken some leaves & was very successful with water propagation. I took some leaves from 2 different location plants ~a month ago and they have yet to develop any sprouts (not really a good sign). Hopefully I'll have some success soon with my attempts.
Looks like I spoke too soon. I checked one of the leaves today and found 3 'protuberances'. Typically, these bumps turn into plantlets & poof --- more plants. While they're a bit tough to see, they're on the top of the folder leaf. Soon I'll be able to start sharing these guys...
Dascendensstrikes090309RS.jpg

Hi! I have d.ascendens (not sure about the localization but is is most likely Bandeira Peak, BA). It is about 7-8cm in diameter. Looks like this:
dascendens-1.jpg

This mother plant provided fresh seeds 2 weeks ago, now started sprouting. So by the end of October I should have some young plants available.

Not a Number,

I thought D. villosa and D. ascendens looked very similar.

My D. ascendens.
Dascendens.jpg

Ivan Snyder confirmed the ID it as D. villosa. It lacks the triangular stipules that D. capensis has and doesn't grow as much of s stem.

D. ascendens is D. villosa var. ascendens - this has not been validly published.

See Fernando Rivadavia's photos:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.villosa0012.jpg
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.villosa0013.jpg
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.villosa0014.jpg

Many of the photos of D. ascendens looks closer to Drosera graomogolensis.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.communis _L_ D.ascendens_R_ Parelheiros 01.jpg
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.ascendens Parelheiros 02.jpg
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.ascendens Parelheiros 20.jpg
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Rivadavia/D.ascendens Parelheiros 15.jpg

Back