What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. aliciae problems

Hi All,

I have been growing D. aliciae for quite a long while now, and I have found time and time again that it is stem forming. Especially in crowded conditions (when on has an artificial or natural mound of D. aliciae clustered together) I find that the plants eventually seem to get "suffocated" and commit mass suicide. Anyone have any ideas as o the exact cause?

From what I have seen the plants seem to be killed by a fungus that attacks the dead leaves beneath the "surface" of the D. aliciae which eventually attacks the plants themselves. Has anyone had similar experiences with this species? With other species? Also, what temp & moisture conditions has this happened in?

aliciae.JPG

i dont know, but i just wanted to say, that is one mighty fine patch of aliciae!!

While getting the plant, I talked to Peter D'amato. He said that the mother plant would die after sometime and new plantlets will grow in its place.

What kind of fungus are you getting? Is it white or red in color?
My plants experienced some similar dwindling in winter months, but none of them died.

alot of my plants, including alicaie, will sometimes die out when heavily clumped, so i usually seperate when large enough and trade em off. my alicaie doesnt have any fungus, but sometimes after eating an insect (i believe humdity mixed with a dead body will cause fungal growth).

I have had this problem as well, and I do believe that it is fungus. This is not the white moldy stuff that grows on the surface, but an invisible infection. The signs are lack of dew, a reddening and apparent drying of the rosettes. It happens very quickly when it happens.

Part of the prevention can include the regular annual repotting of the rosettes, alsong with the removal of the dead leaves at the base of the rosette, which are breeding grounds for fungus and/or insect pests. I have also been told that Cleary's is a good treatment, but have not experimented.

D. aliciae along with D. hamiltoni are good plant indicators of the health of your system. Other growers have stated that the lamina are especially sensitive to predation by insects like mites which cause a deformation of the edge of the lamina, making it "pucker".

So, if these species are looking good, so is your collection. If not, some issues probably need to be addressed.

Here's a current picture of my plants, note the lack of dew

D.adelae1.jpg

Back