What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Adelae

I got a D. Adelae last Thursday in the mail and let me tell you it looked horrible. I have some questions about this plant. I've been reading around and trying to find some cool other plants then the various types of Venus Flytraps and this was one that I found. I'm pretty sure this plant does not go into dormancy. Am I right about this? I'm wondering because when I took it out of the bag it came in it was all shriveled up, dry, pretty bad looking. It was shipped out on Monday or Tuesday and I got it on Thursday. Would it get that bad in only three to four days? I planted it in a four inch plastic pot in a mixture of peat moss and sand with some sphagnum moss on top and put it by the window. I've seen no improvements to it or any of the other plants since then. The temps are usually around 78 F by the window but I checked what the highest was and it said 100F!! How can it get that hot by the window? It's only that hot when the sun first comes up because it's a East window. I don't know if that's too hot or if it's OK for this type of plant but I have some others right there with it. Is there anything I could do to help fix the problem with this plant or do I need to let it heal by it's self? I could get pics but I don't know how to post them on this wed site so when I find out I will post them.

So to sum it up. Do they need a dorment time? What's the right temp and if it matters humidity. Will it fix it's self? What could I do? Thanks.

hello murphy.
d. adelae do not have a dormancy period.
the temperature you have probly will do fine, 78. but your main concern is humidity, put it in a terrarium unless your environment reaches areound 80% humidity.
yes it shoud heal if you give it the correct conditions.
make sher you use distilled water. a google search on growing adelae would help alot as well:;):

It is normal for shipped plants to look like death warmed over - at least most of the time. The heat at your window is the result of a mini-greenhouse effect. As said above, D. adelae doesn't require a dormancy.

What I do with plants that are in shock is to keep them away from the light initially and saturate the media, as well as cover it. I do that for a couple days and then open by day and close at night for another couple days, moving it closer to the light. After that, it's open 24/7 and right at the light. It can take as little as a few days to a few weeks for a plant to recover, depending upon the plant and how badly it is shocked.

Don't worry, Adelae is a trooper. It'll pull through. Your conditions are fine. I had mine outside in 10% humidity/110 degrees and it's still alive and sending up pups by the dozen. I'm not saying those are the perfect conditions by any means. I'm just letting you know how adaptive they are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 20 2006,2:58)]Don't worry, Adelae is a trooper. It'll pull through. Your conditions are fine. I had mine outside in 10% humidity/110 degrees and it's still alive and sending up pups by the dozen. I'm not saying those are the perfect conditions by any means. I'm just letting you know how adaptive they are.
wow
i didnt think they adapt that well.

I could put it in a plastic critter keeper thing I have. That should raise the humidity. Should I keep it in the full sun or part sun? What if I cut the leaves off, will it grow new leaves that are not stressed out?

I think that would stress it out more. just clip off any dead ones.

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Mar. 20 2006,5:40)]I could put it in a plastic critter keeper thing I have. That should raise the humidity. Should I keep it in the full sun or part sun? What if I cut the leaves off, will it grow new leaves that are not stressed out?
I would not do that. Let it recover in the conditions you plan to grow it in. That will make a better, stronger plant.

As far as sun goes, give it as much as possable. After it has started to grow new leaves, if they are green, add more light. Try to keep them tinted red.

Would it be good to keep a terrarium right by the window or would it get too hot? I was thinking to put it in one and use the sunlight instead of the plant grow lights.

Thats fine, just leave it open so the heat can get out.

But how would the humidity stay up?

They don't need that much humidity. If you keep them well watered so that the soil never completely dries out they will be fine. The walls of the tank will increase humidity simply by creating an area of calm air around the plant.

I see. Cool I will do that then. Maybe it will help the plant come back from looking so bad. Thanks.

Here are sine pics of it right now. Ther are not that good but it's the best the camra can do.
SUNP0003.jpg

SUNP0005.jpg

You can resize the pics using Photoshop or paint.

Move your plants out of the window when you take your pictures.. It appears that your camera is trying to focus on the background and not your plants.

Good luck
Steve

Also use the macro setting too.  Most cameras have them.  Its the flower setting.  The only thing about the macro setting is the pictures come out better if using a tripod because the slightest movements show up.  The macro setting is for closeups.  My Kodak easy share 2 mega pixle cam has the setting.  I think most cameras do.  The thing is it turns off the flash.  Atleast on mine it does. Because no offense, but every pic I have see so far from your camera has been out of focus. Most cameras have a two stage button. Try just pushing the button down half way for stage one and give the camera time to focus before pushing it down completely for stage two. That way it focuses.

I'm having a similar issue with my Drosera A but mine rotted to the point to where there ar no leaves left. Any thoughts on how to approach? The plant is in a small pot in a plastic tray uncovered inside my house.

Back