What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae leaf cuttings

I have recently taken a couple of leaf cuttings from my D. adelae just to see what would happen.  Problem is, they had no dew due to new environment shock (I just got it bare root last week) and every source I have consulted on the subject of Drosera leaf cuttings states that the leaves must be dewy.

What do you all think?  Do these leaves have a chance of surviving and producing plantlets?  They were layed out on moistened New Zealand LFS, by the way.  

Thanks,
Corey

Yes, they will probably work. Unless they've dried out, they're probably still viable. Especially D. adelae.

Capslock

D. adelae in good conditions will automaticaly produce more plantlets for you than you will know what to do with.. D. adelae. Its extremely prolific at reproducing from its own roots.

As a general rule, its usually best to use fresher leaves when trying to do leaf cuttings but not impossible for an older one to still do the trick.

Good luck
Steve

Thanks for all your input!  I will keep you posted if these cuttings actually produce plantlets.  They still look good and show no signs of drying up or rotting (knock on wood...they will probably rot within the next ten minutes).  

Wow, Steve, I only hope my Drosera adelae can one day look as lush and happy as yours!  

Thanks again,
Corey

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 17 2005,8:20)]D. adelae in good conditions will automaticaly produce more plantlets for you than you will know what to do with.. D. adelae. Its extremely prolific at reproducing from its own roots.

As a general rule, its usually best to use fresher leaves when trying to do leaf cuttings but not impossible for an older one to still do the trick.

Good luck
Steve
Wow, those look like nice plants. What are your conditions? I have had trouble with my Adelae. I made the mistake of putting them into the direct sunlight. Since then, two of them have turned brown. The other one is flowering now though, but the new leaves are much smaller. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

- Joel

Joel,
I dont do anything special with my D. adelae. It grows in the corner of my small light tank. Fluroscent lights, no cover, about 5 inches below the tubes. It seems happy there so I dont mess with it much.

Cheers
Steve

I just noticed today that one of the leaves I put down was forming a few dew drops! Hopefully this is a good sign and it will soon send up a plantlet or two.

From what I've seen, a dead, dried and fossilized D.adelae will probably still from plantlets from its leaves. It will form them even when grown in the crapiest conditions...heh, mine ven formed some underwater.
smile_n_32.gif

Well, it has now been slightly more than a month and I am pleased to report that all of the leaves I put down are sending up plantlets from the base (where the leaves were attached to the rosette).  In addition, some root cuttings I took of D. adelae about the same time are also sending up plantlets.  Right now I have about thirty dewy little plantlets total and I keep counting more every day...  Propagation sure is fun!
smile_n_32.gif

Ispahan,

Congrats!

One question: how exactly did you treat the cuttings? (soil mixture, light levels/timing, humidity, watering, fertilizing, etc.)?

I have an adelae that's getting a bit old and sickly that I want to make cuttings from in case it eventually dies.

thanks.

I just placed them on top of moistened LFS, held down the ends of the leaves with more pieces of LFS to ensure good surface contact, covered the pot with plastic wrap with a rubber band to hold it in place, put the pot in an area that received very bright light (but not baking direct sun) with normal household temperatures and kept the tray it was in filled with about 1/2 inch of water.  As easy as pie.  

I did remove the plastic wrap once a day to check for progress and to flip it over (this seemed to reduce condensation problems).  

Although these leaf cuttings appear to have been successful, I have to say that the root cuttings I took are producing about three times as many plantlets.

My D. adelae looked sickly when I got it, all green and dry with no dew. Now it is putting out plantlets just like a leaf cutting, the thing is, the leaves are still attached to the plant and they are growing plantlets where the leaves are touching the soil
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back