What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.Adelae growing deformed leaves.

Looking good! I would put that purp there outside.

I plan on doing that this weekend. That S.Purpurea was a lowes plant and has been sitting in that windsill for one month where it gets 5+ hours of direct sun and under 16 hours of fluorescent lights. I will put it out on my porch with my Judith Hindles where it will get allday sun.

Here is a before and after picture:

Before:
1000874ko6.jpg

After 1 month later:
1000925qz6.jpg

Here's contrast for ya.... This is a pic right after purchase:

IMG_0004.jpg

And this is after being in sun for a few weeks:

IMG_0032-1.jpg

That never ceases to amaze me, Jim.

That plant looks great Jim! I will definitely put it outside tommorro.

My d.adelae was starting to look better and was getting dewy again when I first put it on
my new shelf and under the my new T8 lights and then after a few weeks it started
looking worse than it did before. I have a fan on the shelf to circulate the air but its not
blowing air directly on the plant. My humidity level has droped a little from what it use to
be it is now around 45% during the day and around 65% at night. The temps stay pretty
much in the 70's all the time. The plant is 5 inches from the lights and I keep a 1/2-inch to
1-inch of distilled water in its tray at all times.

The plant is brown and black looking around the edge of the leaves and is spreading
inward and completly dewless and looks worse and worse everyday. Here is a few pics:

1000938qf3.jpg

1000939oq1.jpg

1000942ij4.jpg

Do you think that 5 inches is to close to the lights or maybe im giving it to much water?

looks like its getting burned... but I wouldnt know why if its really only 70 ...
adelae's usually make great windowsill plants did you at any point pursue that option?

looks like its getting burned... but I wouldnt know why if its really only 70 ...
adelae's usually make great windowsill plants did you at any point pursue that option?

Yeah it was in a windowsill and under two T12 lights for a couple of months where the
temps would reach the high 80's and it didnt have any dew on it when it was in the
widowsill so bought a new shelf and some new T8 lights because my T12 lights quit
working. I took the plant out of the windowsill and put it on the new shelf and under the T8
lights only, it started looking great and was getting its dew back. The temps range
between 71 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit on the shelf. Then after a couple of more weeks it
started looking bad like in the photos.

the only thing i could think of if you haven't changed anything would be to check your water tray for little swimming insects. Normally, I top water until the tray has a little water at the bottom and then let that evaporate until the LFS becomes a bit drier. If temps are always in the 70s, you could always throw a clear plastic cup over it to get humidity up around 90 percent. As long as temps aren't above 80 here, that technique works flawlessly for me.
but i'd definitely check to make sure there isn't a parasitic bug eating away on the roots...
good luck though. If it dies, just let it sit for a couple weeks/months and it should come back.
Take care,
Aaron

the only thing i could think of if you haven't changed anything would be to check your water tray for little swimming insects. Normally, I top water until the tray has a little water at the bottom and then let that evaporate until the LFS becomes a bit drier. If temps are always in the 70s, you could always throw a clear plastic cup over it to get humidity up around 90 percent. As long as temps aren't above 80 here, that technique works flawlessly for me.
but i'd definitely check to make sure there isn't a parasitic bug eating away on the roots...
good luck though. If it dies, just let it sit for a couple weeks/months and it should come back.
Take care,
Aaron

I went digging anound in the soil today and I think I found what might be causing the
damage, There are fungus gnat larva crawling around in the soil. I am going to buy some
BT today and drench the soil with the stuff hope it gets rid of them before they destroy all
the roots. Ive only seen a few of the adult gnats flying around so I didnt think there was a
real gnat problem but I guess a few can lay a lot of eggs. I just hope its not to late save
the plant. Thanks everyone for all your help.:-D

good luck. it should do just fine after you get rid of the fungus gnats. i believe in my case, i ended up having to flood the pot along with putting in a systematic insecticide. it snapped back in shape about a week after the incident. just make sure in the future you let the LFS occasionally get drier to discourage fungus gnats.

and if it doesn't make it (which it should) i could easily send you some Adelae fo free.
just lmk.

Aaron

Back