What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czech Giant?

U

Unregistered

Hello everyone.

Quick question for those who may be growing the Czech Giant VFT. Does anyone notice this particular clone to be... temperamental? Serious question here.

I've had one that I got a long, long time ago that unlike the other plants I received at the same time, never seemed to really take off. It declined, rotted out. I got a new one to replace it, notably larger. In my absence, while someone else cared for the plants, it suffered an identical fate (I have a tiny piece of it left which may or may not continue growing at this point) while many of my other VFTs did fine with the same treatment.

I have a new one now, larger still and very healthy looking, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the third time will be the charm, but I wonder if I'm the only one that's had problems with this clone.

I have to admit I don't know much about this plant or how it was created, either by crossings or just selected from TC or what. Either way, I am curious if other people grow it successfully and what they think of it compared with their other VFTs (trap size, robustness, etc.).

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure about Czech Giant, but I've noticed similar behavior from another cultivar, Red Piranha. All of my other VFTs are still growing strong, but I've gone through about 3 RPs with no luck. Sucks cause it's my favorite cultivar. This is just anecdotal, but maybe it helps?

My Czech Giant has done great for me and divided a few times last growing season. Never had any problems as you.
rock.gif

I'm not sure about Czech Giant, but I've noticed similar behavior from another cultivar, Red Piranha. All of my other VFTs are still growing strong, but I've gone through about 3 RPs with no luck. Sucks cause it's my favorite cultivar. This is just anecdotal, but maybe it helps?

Odd. My Red Piranha was one of my better growers until I went on vacation and it decided to have a problem and croak in my absence. :censor:

I am trying desperately to replace it at the moment and have no luck, but once I locate a source I'll be getting several of them just to be on the safe side. Spares are definitely worth the $$$. :0o:

My Czech Giant has done great for me and divided a few times last growing season. Never had any problems as you.
rock.gif

How do you feel this cultivar stacks up against any others you grow? Trap size and so forth? I got it because I wanted to compare with other supposed fast, robust forms, but I've been largely unable to do so thanks to my luck with this plant. ???

Back