What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cypripedium acaule and Friend

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
4 years ago I collected a couple of small, prebloom C. acaule from my neighbor's property and planted 2 in my bog garden. Both have survived and grown, although the one in this pic has done better, probably because it's a few inches higher above max water level. Although they're in "drier" areas, neither ever get dry, and they're in pretty much full sun. Last year one bloomed for the first time, and this year it bloomed and started producing an offset. I went out to check the flower as it was opening, and noticed these little green and white guys. It was a bit of a surprise because they moved about 6" from where I planted them 2 years ago all on their own, and distinctly uphill. I guess they want it a bit drier, and weren't going to wait for me to figure it out! They're Pecteilis radiata 'Ginga'. First pic (badly) shows this year's acaule flower, along with the offset and a couple radiata. Second pic is last year's flower, which also shows the different way the plant holds its leaves in full sun, as opposed to the flat pads on the ground you see with woodland specimens:

Attachments

• 20230509_181942.jpg
    20230509_181942.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220516_063726.jpg
    20220516_063726.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 6
Very nice. There is a lot of mythology about how difficult those are to grow but when they're happy they're happy. I had a couple that thrived in a very different habitat - a free draining mix in wide but shallow pots - and they did very well here in CT, spending their summers in the bright but dappled light beneath an oak.

It's all about proper handling while digging and pH. The plant is actually pretty adaptable as far as light and moisture levels. But low pH is essential to inhibit bacterial pathogens.

Glad they survived for ya!
Very nice. There is a lot of mythology about how difficult those are to grow but when they're happy they're happy. I had a couple that thrived in a very different habitat - a free draining mix in wide but shallow pots - and they did very well here in CT, spending their summers in the bright but dappled light beneath an oak.
I wouldn't say it's necessarily "myth." Yes, "when they're happy, they're happy," but making them happy can be another story entirely. I've known quite a few folks who have tried to make various Cyps happy and have failed miserably. A gent I used to know was very knowledgeable on Cyp culture and had even made a couple of his own hybrids. He used to sell Cyps at the spring orchid shows. When people would ask him about purchasing a particular type of Cyp, he always asked them a number of questions regarding the conditions they could/would be able to provide. (He was always very upfront with them if it turned out the type they were interested in was not going to be a wise choice, and, if it wasn't, would suggest ones that would be a better fit.)

Back