What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutworms

Anyone have any good tips for repelling cutworms? While they aren't a widespread pest, they cause severe damage to the Sarracenia they choose to feed on. Instead of eating the leaves, my cutworms eat right through the growth point. Sometimes the plant will bounce back, but the smaller the plant the less likely. I've lost some rare and 'hard to get' plants as a result of these a-holes.

Try a systemic pesticide.
Maybe put your plants in a wide tray to make a sort of moat.
Are they in your soil?

The moat idea would not work because the moths can fly and lay their eggs (which hatch into cutworms) on the soil at will. Besides, I do not use the tray method with Sarracenia. They don't necessarily live in the soil. They hide under leaves. The only way I know they are there is due to the bright orange/yellow droppings and the large gaping hole in the center of the plant...where the crown used to be. Very annoying.

Try growing them in a sort of mesh cage or net. Apply a pesticide to the plants that are carried into the cage.

Back