What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings

Hello,

I just made cuttings of several basal shoots. One of the shoots was good sized and the other two are small. They are all basal shoots so they have growing points already. They all have pitchers. I was reading in Savage Gardens where it says to cut the remaining leaves in half. Is that because the leaves are too taxing on the plant. Since they have growing points do I have to cut all the leaves in half, but leave the growing point?

How many and how large are the leaves?

If the basal shoots are small and the leaves are only an inch or two long each leave them on.
If it's a very large shoot with 6-12" leaves then I would remove 1/2 the leaves (yes leave the growing tip alone).

Normally I remove basal shoots when they are tiny rosettes because their growing seems to take away from the mother plant. If they do get long I cut them off and then cut them down into  single node stem pieces  (this is a one leaf section with 1" of  stem below it) and plant each one in LFS. In two or three months you'll have a ton of new nep plants! when I do this (reduce the shoot or stem to nodal cuttings) I leave only 1/4-1/2 of the single leaf.

But on baby size shoots I leave the upper few leaves alone but I do strip off the bottom 3-4 leaves and make a few vertical cuts along the stem so there is someplace for the roots to grow from.

Thank you. That answers my question nicely.

Back