What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you guys say cutting what do you mean. info please and i also saw a post about getting a half way dead trap with a green leaf - cut it off and it will grow?

thanks

Okey... first, you pick a leaf from your VFT. Pluck it off, making sure some white part is still intact at the base of the leaf, and lay it, "face" up, on top of a 50/50 mix of either peat and perlite or peat and silica sand. Make sure the soil is nice and moist before doing this! Sprinkle some soil on top of the base of the leaf (the whitish part), just enough to just barely bury it in the soil. Water it with the tray system, and eventually the leaf will send out roots and grow a plant from them you will have a new plant!

Good luck!
          FTG

hmm kinda like a cacti then - thanks

wouldn't the damage to the rhizome cause a lethal amount of stress to the plant? Especially considering how touchy VFTs are about their roots.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cynic81 @ Aug. 04 2003,12:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wouldn't the damage to the rhizome cause a lethal amount of stress to the plant? Especially considering how touchy VFTs are about their roots.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Cynic81, If done carefully, it won't bother the rhizome at all. In my experience, the rhizome doesn't seem to be as sensitve as the roots. When transplanting my VFTs this spring, I had one that was only forming half a rosette. In an attempt to get it to start growing in a rosette, I started peeling leaves off in 2s and 3s to try and form a rosette. It didn't work, but I now have a whole bunch (7) of plants from all the leaves as well as the original plant.
biggrin.gif

alien.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back