What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting race

upper

Capensis Killer
Ventrata Cutting(thanks zero)​

In Water (the tube was from those bamboo stick they sell at ikea)
IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

In Sphagnum&Pumice
IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

this was formed on my typical. i guess my typical had some cupped trap mixed in it.(or its deformed)
IMG_2853.jpg

took this picture at a bad view, if you looked at it from the side, it looks like a 1 sided cup trap.

I'd put my money on the centrifuge tube! I've had total success with cuttings in water and hit or miss when in media.

HPIM0857-1.jpg

HPIM0856-1.jpg

i thought you werent suppose to expose the root to light. or it would stress the plant.

Really? The plants don't know that!

i forgot where i read it. might not be true, i dont know.

PhissionKorps said that from time to time.

xvart.

I've also had the best luck with just water (as opposed to perlite or sphagnum). Who knows though, individual growers conditions will probably have a huge impact on success in different mediums.

Light in the root zone is supposed to impede root development slightly, but not completely. Cuttings in water will root faster if they have no light shining on their root zones than cuttings that do recieve light on their root zones.

I've rooted Neps in LFS mixes, and rooted one troublesome Agri-starts Rafflesiana in water. It was a last ditch effort; after a while of no rooting with the brown stem buried in an LFS mix, and then (a few months later) sitting in water, I cut off the brown stem, sliced the bottom of the green stem, dusted it with a little Rootone, and set it on my windowsill. It grew roots to about an inch long, then I potted it up without trouble. I would still suggest LFS mixes over water, though. I believe that if I had stuck it in an LFS mix after cutting tyhe brown stem off, it would have rooted just as well.

Back