What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting question..........

i recieved a Nepenthes x Rokko yesterday, it is a rooted cutting about 8in tall that appears to have been taken from the top growth point. the reason i think this is that it has a pitcher on it but the pitcher fits the description of an upper pitcher according to The Savage Garden and doesnt look like the picture of the lower trap in the same book. my question is will the cutting keep producing upper pitchers or will it revert to producing lower pitchers? also for those of you who grow this particular hybrid does it really grow as fast as the book states? thanks.

Rattler

Rattler,
I have a similar cutting, and it's produced only upper pitchers. It's a couple feet tall, and I'm waiting for it to produce a basal shoot, at which time I'll snip the vine, and maybe make some cuttings. This is indeed a fast grower with nice pitchers, although I'd like to see some lower pitchers, eventually!

Good luck
Capslock

how are you growing yours?

Rattler

Rattler, mine is open air on a wire rack in my dining room, under a 400MH light. It's actually too much light. The humidity is only around 50% where it is usually, since it's indoors and a bit warmer than the outdoor air, especially overnight. Temperatures are household temps, from lower 60s to mid 70s most of the time. Under the light, it gets warmer, so I'd guess in the low 80s where the plant is. It seems to be a hardy hybrid that will adapt readily to various conditions.

Mine was a scraggely, viny cutting when I got it about 6-8 months ago, and here it is now. It's a terrible picture, as photographing plants under Metal Halide lights is always rough. it's actually more attractive than the picture makes it seem:
N_x_Rokko2.sized.jpg

Capslock

lol i think yours and mine have the same number of leaves but mines only 8 inches tall or so. ill throw it in with my 'Miranda' and it should do fine.

Rattler

Do your # of posts stay the same if it's in the same topic? I was just noticing Capslock's and rtlr stayed the same even though they posted twice.
Other than that, N. x rokko is a recommended hybrid for ease?

Thanks,

Joe

Well your post number revises on all your posts so they all have the same number. Hope that answered your Q.

Joe,
The short answer is yes, the N. x rokko has, for me, been a trouble free grower. My conditions are pretty much intermediate for this plant, and it's been happy and a fast growing nepenthes. Now, if it will only make a basal rosette, I could make some cuttings with the upper part.

Capslock

Why can`t you make a cutting now? If you cut it down to 3-4 nodes I bet it would grow a basal or two and you would have several cuttings to either keep or trade\giveaway.

Some species will only make uppers from a cutting. But yes, every cutting that makes uppers has the potential to produce a basal rossette down the road and make lowers. I had an N. sanguinea clone that I really liked lowers on, got a cutting and that amde only uppers, chopped it up and now have 1 lowers pitcher on it...dunno if it will stay as it looks like this new shoot is going to make uppers also, but it just goes to show you an upper cutting does have the genetic information to make lower pitchers, if it was still attached to the plant, thats a different story.
smile.gif

Ah, I feel like an idiot. That makes complete sense, as if you redo your avatar, it changes it to the new one on all posts.

Joe

what is the difference between upper and lower pitures?

Back