What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Flieger Watch Incoming

Ive always wanted a custom, hand built watch... well Ive been saving my pennys for many moons and now it should be completed in about a month.

Being built by Chris Sappas at Wilson Watch Works in North Carolina

First the beating heart
A Decorated SOPROD modified Swiss ETA 6498
http://wiegandwatches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=67

Next, a German made combat style case with Sapphire crystal and presentation back.
(delux crown not shown)
http://wiegandwatches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=23

German made "Flieger" dial and hands (Swiss C1/C3 Superlume modification)
http://wiegandwatches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=38
http://wiegandwatches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=41

The strap is also being made by Chris, it is a distressed leather "Flieger"
http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr310/wilsonwatchworks/Straps/?action=view&current=P1170254.jpg
(jury is still out on strap/buckle selection...)

It is not historically correct for a WWII "Flieger", but man who the "F" cares, its a work of art and true old world craftsmanship

I know... please forgive me, Im like a kid at christmas, it's just so cool...

I'll post pics when it arrives :)

Looks pretty cool ! Make sure you send us a pic later.

That's going to be a nice watch!

The closest I've ever come to a custom watch is just a custom strap. LOL

I had a Russian Chaika on it. It gave me yrs of time keeping service and only recently gave out. I can't keep a battery or digital watch going for more than a couple months. They just all together die.

ive destroyed so many watches it isnt funny....i dont wear one any more, just use my cell phone when i have to know what time it is and most days i dont care nor bother to look at a clock....that one looks pretty neat, mind sharing what yours costs?.......ive heard of fancy and expensive watches and know what they can run....didnt realize there were custom watches like that though....

Rattler,

There is still a large market for quality mechanical watches. Seiko still has an entire line of automatic mechanicals which are very popular, mostly diver style... prob the most popular being one that is commonly called the orange monster.

The classic "flieger" (flyer) watch is also very popular, but mostly made in small numbers by speciality vendors.. one of the classics Stowa

I am getting an excellent (outstanding wouldnt be an understatement) deal @ 600ish, it could be a lot cheaper with chinese components etc etc etc, but that isnt what it is about

WWW are the new kids on the block, so the timing is right pricewise... most other sources would easily be over a grand

wow, excellent ref Warren, thanks!!!

and nice to see ya mate ;)
Butch

Check out some of the links:

http://www.knirim.de/leftg.htm
http://www.knirim.de/ueberse.htm

It's good to be back :)

I recall a friend telling my how his grandfather helped capture a downed German aviator in England during WW2 and how they ruined the pistol by putting it in a vice trying to open the slide. He never said anything about watches though.

Rattler,

There is still a large market for quality mechanical watches. Seiko still has an entire line of automatic mechanicals which are very popular, mostly diver style... prob the most popular being one that is commonly called the orange monster.

The classic "flieger" (flyer) watch is also very popular, but mostly made in small numbers by speciality vendors.. one of the classics Stowa

I am getting an excellent (outstanding wouldnt be an understatement) deal @ 600ish, it could be a lot cheaper with chinese components etc etc etc, but that isnt what it is about

WWW are the new kids on the block, so the timing is right pricewise... most other sources would easily be over a grand

wow, excellent ref Warren, thanks!!!

and nice to see ya mate ;)
Butch

interesting.......have had a hard time tripping the trigger on one over $100 as ive destroyed about $500 worth of watches so far.....between hunting, laying carpet and the shop i destroy them mainly bands but ive cracked lots of faces though too......and i figure if i cant wear it all the time i dont want one..........

I have two Seiko Automatic "Fliegers" and one Seiko Quartz chrono, the chrono is my daily driver as I need the stop watch occasionally in lab and the two Seiko Fliegers are casual wear. This watch will be for special occasions and investment/keepsake purposes... definitely not one to lay carpet in, at least not on my limited budget. Its taken way to long for me to get one.

One day Ill show you some of my "toys" Rattler, Ive got some very interesting ones... might be more to your liking mate ;-)

2 South American Imbels
Rhodesian R1A1
2 Austrian STG-58s
Israeli Heavy Barrel FALO
Israeli Light Barrel
Aussie L1A1-F1
Aussie L2A1 Heavy Barrel
German G1
and assorted other american, commonealth and soviet bloc items

I had a nice 50+ year old Gruen watch that I bought on eBay several years ago, but I lost it back in November. I don't dare spend big bucks on things I can lose or break.

thats about where im at Bruce.......ive destroyed all manner of $50-$75 watches.....dont really feel the urge to spend more on one when my cell phone works just fine for a time piece.....and alot of places where i dont carry my cell phone i dont really care what time it is......out hunting, the cell phone is turned off to save the battery and stuffed in the pack so i dont loose it incase i really need it for an emergency and i can look at the sky and tell whether its time to head back to the truck or not.......

ahhh but that isnt the point of getting this watch, it wont be wore while working... its like that special suit or the nice classic car that isnt a daily driver. Not needed, but simply there for the pleasure and joy of having it.

I would never pay that much for something I was going to work in, nor would I wear a pair of nice Italian shoes or an Armani suit to change oil in my truck. That's what my Carharts are for

But there are times, when the nice clothes, nice shoes and nice watch are indeed appropriate.

Ive humped all my life and now Im at the point where I can enjoy a few luxuries every now and then, and having a classic watch designed and built especially for me is one of them

:)

if ya think 600 is expensive, look at some of the Patek-Philippe models

example

sheesh, unreal... I love the way they put it "our price..." LOLOLOL only 1.7 milllion, would you like to add it to your cart now?

hehehehe

Av8tor1, I'm glad you're out there to help keep a custom watchmaker in business because I like knowing a few of them can still make a living. It's the same with custom guns, fishing rods, etc. Owning something like that might be frivolous, conspicuous consumption (emphasis on might), but it keeps a craft alive and doesn't squander natural resources the way trophy houses, cars, appliances, ... do.

ahhh but that isnt the point of getting this watch, it wont be wore while working... its like that special suit or the nice classic car that isnt a daily driver. Not needed, but simply there for the pleasure and joy of having it.

I would never pay that much for something I was going to work in, nor would I wear a pair of nice Italian shoes or an Armani suit to change oil in my truck. That's what my Carharts are for

But there are times, when the nice clothes, nice shoes and nice watch are indeed appropriate.

Ive humped all my life and now Im at the point where I can enjoy a few luxuries every now and then, and having a classic watch designed and built especially for me is one of them

i aint faulting yah for it, if yah want it and have the money, have at it.....just not my cup of tea....i know $600 is nothing really when it comes to well made watches....especially when yah start throwing in the word "custom", ive got a friend who was a jewler and a Rolex dealer before he retired......but i view a watch like i do my pocket knife.....its something i want on me at all times if im going to have it....it kills me to throw my pocket knife in my checked luggage when i fly.....its a constant companion, but also since it gets used near every day its no longer pretty....though it might not be a fair example cause its a $30 item.......ive got rifles ive spent $1500 on that are scratched to hell from sandstone and junipers, have electrical tape around the muzzle to keep dirt out...dont much care what it looks like, i care it goes bang every time i pull the trigger and puts the bullet where im looking....appearance is secondary.....if i spend serious money on something its not going to be cause it looks nice, its gotta be able to shrug off a beating and keep working.....

course you also have to take in consideration where im at, middle of nowhere and when i get "dressed up" it almost never includes a tie......i dont do black tie dinners and that kinda crap....i wouldnt mind a nice watch for times im not at work, but i go from out having dinner with the wife to getting pictures of a fire or car wreck and at times helping out at them in very short order and i aint likely to remember to remove my nice watch i dont want busted up....

oh no worries at all, and ill be the first to admit it is a bit frivolous... but thats ok, its not something i do often... heck its the only one i will prob ever own,

Back