What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curled leaves with sandpaper texture

Hello,
i have a problem with 2 of my vft's it seems to be that recently they have began to grow new leaves curled and of a fine sandpaper texture the leaves don't make it to maturity they die from the tip down at about 1 inch in size. any ideals on a reason why this might be happening. i use a 48" full spectrum grow light suspended over head approx 16 inches from the plants and a 48' cool White florescent approx 22 inches over head. they are in a 3 gallon round terrarium with a mixture fro petflytrap.com i believe 60/40 peat/perennialite i have 2 terrariums and one has 8 plant's in it it seems fine yet this one with 2 both plants seem to be suffering this. there approximately 1 year old in there growing conditions and I'm using shop-rite bottled spring watter sodium free. there just recently out of winter dormancy also the leaves die off drown not black and thats different than in my other terrarium they die off black. 1 other thing i noticed is the tubing leading out of the tropicare humidity system that i use to keep them humid is stained with a whitish pattern the tube with air leading into it is unstained, any one with any info on possible cause for this problem with leaves curling an dieing would be most helpful.
thx for reading.

I am guessing they are rotting. You may want to reduce the water you are giving the vfts right out of dormancy. Most of the time they do not need much water until a month after or so. I leave no water in the pots but do water once a week.

Hope that helps,
travis

Don't know if it is a contributer, but it has been strongly suggested that artificial light sources should inches from the plants. There are times when the light source itself cannot be moved closer, perhaps the plants can be. Tamlin suggested turning a tank on its side so that it would be closer. One can also prop the soil media and thus the plants by adding more media - if possible. This may not address the issue you are dealing with, but it is also important.

When VFT's are coming out of dormancy early and they are starting to grow again, expect a few leaves and trap loss. You description sounds pretty typical to what I have witnessed and shouldn't cause alarm unless it continues for weeks and weeks on.

I considered that actually, but i haven't moved it any closer because i had a banzai under the light i use now about 20 inches away an it was burnt to death in about a week it was crispy and hard as a rock... so i was concerned that closer than 16 inches could burn my vft leaves with a full spectrum bulb, any suggestions on if thats a valid worry or not?
i will try putting the light closer but not till i see some experienced people's posts telling me that its OK to do for full spectrum and or cool white florescent lighting, there in sad shape an id hate to burn them on top of it. I'm not sure if the condition there in is caused by minerals but i had suspected that may be a cause as the watter/humidity line leading in the terrarium is seemingly lightly encrusted in a white colored film it originally was clear see through plastic, over the months its turned whitish and i suspected it was from calcium or lime or some sort of mineral deposit but I'm not 100% sure on that any one have any ideals for me I'm really at a loss as how to help my plants also yesterday upon closer inspection of my 2 terrarium it seems like the plants in there are suffering from a much less sever but seemingly similar problem they look like there beginning to take a sandpaper texture not as bad as the 2 vft's in the first one but i have a bad feeling there on there way to the same fate. the d.spathulata seems to be producing significantly less dew and looks possibly dry? I'm hesitant to say dry tho because i cant be sure thats an accurate description also the terrarium is NOT dry the soil is very moist and somewhat humid, sorry for the long length of post trying to be as descriptive as possible thanks for reading. thx for any help/tips

hehe you beat me to the post there.
alright il give them more time an hope it isnt to serious
thanks for the advice.

Back