What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cup trap x cross teeth

i saw this picture while i was surfing it looks like a cross tooth but then again it looks like a cup trap at the same time. I wish i could get one of these...
Dionaea_muscipula_Cup_Trap_060703_2.sized.jpg

That is my photo, thanks! It is a neat little plant, but a finicky subject in cultivation. I am currently down to one plant. I don't believe this is a hybrid between to two forms you named though, just a typical mutant form.

Is it a cuptrap? It looks more like a cross tooth or some type of fused tooth due to the weird leaves. Since the leaves are so narrow Tony advice was to give it as much light as possible, and so far it is working pretty well with my VFT's that look simular to yours.

I just call it a typical cup trap. The crossed teeth are very variable, sometimes they happen and sometimes not, I grow mine outdoors so they get all the light there is to be had, but still the plant is a weak subject. I suggest that you take some leaf cuttings since rapid decline is always a possibility with this particular variation.

It doensn't really look like a Cup trap since the teeth are fused together, maybe it is a new cultivar?...

Hmmm, I suppose that is a valid option provided I can find a way to reproduce it in quantity. I have mixed feelings about naming and registering the various VFT forms which I grow. For me to consider this it would have to have some rather outstanding character. My next publication will likely be Dionaea "Todd's Terror" which is a knockout VFT!

'Todd's Terror'? WHere did you get the name from...got a pic?

Jason

The plant came from our own Ozzy. It was sort of how we met. It has a very distinct look I think, and the traps have an almost plastic look to them.

Dionaea_muscipula_giant_traps_MT_080103_3.sized.jpg

are you planning on letting the cup trap flower? or leaf cuttings or something?

I don't let it flower since seed would not pass on the strange form. I have taken a few leaf cuttings, and I have placed the material with a couple of very generous guys, so hopefully it will start getting about.

A collector who was moving on to other things gave me his 10 year old collection in the faith that I would tend it and pass it on to others.

WOW!!! THAT"S AWSOME!!! WOW!!! I want one...
smile_m_32.gif

Back