What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crow Be Gone (bloody image)

Decapitated flowers...Ruined Purpurea/Psittacina pitchers...Flytraps dug out and left to dry in the sun...Sounds familiar ?

I got over it all...But lately this crow pair has taken a new interest in my plants. When I saw them pecking at the psittacina, at first I thought they were just causing mischief as usual. But nope, this was for a "worthy cause". Apparently they bring bones, meat, bread etc and bury them in the pots. Here's what they were trying to hide this time:

dovp.jpg

Maybe this was the reason all along and I just noticed it, I don't know but I just can't stand my flytraps being destroyed anymore; especially after getting them through a whole winter.

So here's my latest defense mechanism:

begone.jpg

Actually I think it's kinda ugly. Today I learnt a new technique from a neighbour though. He told me to use a fishing line and tie it around like this net but looser. Apparently birds can't see the fishing line until it's too late and they don't visit again.

Nice plants, but also, Nice view! I wish I had that balcony :)

Ughhhh ewwwwwwww

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Good luck with the nets

Hey man you gotta do what you gotta do... Stellar Jays merked my two lovely flytraps too... :(

Fishing line works, that's what restaurants use on their patio or balcony seating areas.

I use two defensive techniques..one for birds and squirrels, and one just for birds.

Green chicken wire over the pots, to keep squirrels from digging, and to keep birds (mostly robins) from stealing the moss for nesting material..its chicken wire coated in vinyl:

CP2008-018.jpg

its ugly, but it works..the plants just grow up through the wire:

CP2008-064.jpg

and for birds, I hand CD's around the pots:

CP2008-119.jpg

Take two old CD's, mount back-to-back so the shiny side is facing out both ways, drill a hole, hang with string..the slightest breeze keeps them spinning..it is said birds dont like the reflections and spinning lights..it works for me! they really do keep birds away..I hang four or five of them around my pots every year..

Scot

They were trying to feed that sarr a bird's head! :lol:

None of the decomposting animal parts have killed your plants?

LOL at repottting and finding bones and stuff in there...

Sorry to hear about all your (strange an unusual) troubles! Hope your next line of defense works!

Wtf!!! Severed bird head!!!

:-)) That was exactly me when I found it. Poor dove...

Scot, I can confirm that CDs don't work against hooded crows. That was my recent method. But hanging more of them like you suggested might be the key.

Wire man, they didn't have the chance to decompose. I always noticed and threw the stuff away but until recently, i thought it was the upstair neighbors throwing garbage outside.

In some free time I'll go with the fishing line method and let you guys know. Net seems to be working fine but I really dislike the color...

Back