What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross breeding?

• Thread starter MeutOfNess
  • Start date
M

MeutOfNess

they are very similar in design and wondering if this would work?

No it won't. They are diffrent species and they cannot breed.

it could be possible if it got a little help from genetic engineering , but i think its impossble . anways , you may not be able to breed sarrcenia with nepenthes , but i've heard that they have bred sarracenia with heliamphora or darlingtonia or whatever like that .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ May 29 2003,6:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No it won't. They are diffrent species and they cannot breed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
freindly correction: you can breed two different species of sarracenia, but not two different genus of pitcher plant.

Thanks for the correction, that's what I meant.

I know in some cases you can cross plants from two different genuses. I think it's called intergeneric breeding. It's commonly used in orchids. Although I don't know of any breeding done above the genus. IE Family to Family

Mike
smile.gif

Back