What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critical care Nepenthes needs an ID,or at least a climate zone.

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I have had a number of neps that I got from a "no tag" $5 sale last year. Two died immediately, two hung on, and one is doing well, though slow. The one that I'm most concerned about is this one:

240.jpg

While one of the two "TLC" plants liked it's move to the LL tank, this one clearly DIDN'T. I can only assume it's a HL plant. Should I put it in an intermediate area, like a windowsill, before putting it back in the greenhouse? It's kinda cold out there right now. It actually did try to pitcher earlier, during early summer (a wierd, cold "summer" it was!). I didn't have a good camera then, and couldn't get a picture. It was small, and covered in little red freckles.

Just for fun, here's the one that's doing well:

140.jpg

It has a thin, short tendril that comes off the tip of the lid, a gap at the back of the peristome, and a small boss where the lid joins the peristome. If that info helps.

Agh, that's always a shame. That second one looks pretty, though. I am not even close to having "experience" yet, but I wish you luck.

Wow I can't even begin to guess the genetics of that pretty mutt!

As far as your sick plant goes, if it is not diggint the L/L then definitely, throw it in your highland setup, if you don't have a H/L then try intermediate, or do what you had thought about doing, creating its own environment.

I am worried about shocking it. But if throwing it in will be OK, the out it goes.

Tomorrow. Before work. It's COLD out there right now!

Yeah, I'd think getting it in a highland setup would be best, too. It obviously hasn't acclimatized to the lowland setup, so I don't think you really run the risk of shock. Maybe it'll just "think" it was one wild time period of weather, LOL. Again, I don't have enough experience to give any real advice, but my two cents would be that is probably the best bet to save it.

EDIT: Wow, typo galore.

Last edited:
Reaper is on to something, if a plant is sick and not doing well, which by the way, that one looks relatively well to me, plants certainly can be sicker, then it will be most stressful to keep it in an environment that it can't grow well in. If it is truly a highlander then it will need that temperature drop before it does anything other than continue dying. Don't worry about shock, most plants will be able to take a shock now and then especially if it is a shock of more favorable conditions.

You might try reacclaimating it using the bag method.

LoL! I wasn't planning on keeping it in the LL tank, for sure. I just didn't know quite what do to about it.

I did, in fact, do the "bag thing" a few days ago. Hopefully it'll pull out of it's funk. By the leaves, it should be interesting!

Back